Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Gojirosan 25th May 2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 244769)
Hmmmm I have to disagree. Iconic Blues Brothers artwork or that blue monstrosity. No contest. :)

I don't think it is iconic - that standing by the car in front of the building site thing is colourless and ugly. Which is why it has changed so much over the years, I guess. I don't agree that there even is a definitive, iconic bit of artwork for The Blues Brothers. And the current UK DVD is truly repulsive. This BD looks great in comparison, with a much classier font..

I also disagree that it is a "blue monstrosity". I genuinely cannot see anything in it that warrants it being branded a monstrosity. It's a pleasant and more than serviceable bit of artwork that suits the film and looks nice on the shelf and in the hand.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 03:21 PM

Each to his own mate. You think the original is bad.....and I know the truth. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 03:22 PM

I quite like all the covers for the new series of Universal releases.

Slippery Jack 25th May 2012 03:22 PM

Out of the UNIVERSAL 100 series it's probably the one that works the best, what with the 'blue' connection :loco: (though the quote plastered at the top looks rubbish). The one for The Birds is probably the worst of the bunch. The series as a whole shows a total disregard for the art of cover design, with their cut-and-paste cookie cutter 'one design fits all' template :mmph: . . .

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 244777)
I quite like all the covers for the new series of Universal releases.

And they call me mad! ;)

keirarts 25th May 2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244414)
Ooh, in what way? I know Lynch isn't a fan of scene selection in his films, wanting people to only be able to watch it from start to end, so would be interested to see if this is relevant.

I'm sure the initial dvd release didn't have scene selection, or the option to pause or something.

Lets be honest, I suspect its partly to stop people skipping to certain scenes directly for a little 'self gratification' ;)

Slippery Jack 25th May 2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 244780)
Lets be honest, I suspect its partly to stop people skipping to certain scenes directly for a little 'self gratification' ;)

Hell yeah. That tramp chick behind the cafe is SMOKIN :smokin: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 03:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 244779)
And they call me mad! ;)

I just like the metallic blue effect.

They all sit together nicely on a shelf i would think and pretty much look the same, which is the ideal for a series of films.

Slippery Jack 25th May 2012 03:35 PM

Nice choice of quote for Jurassic Park - "Welcome to..." :doh: . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 244711)
I loved The Straight Story!!!

I'm a massive fan of just about everything David Lynch has made, from Eraserhead to Mulholland Drive and The Straight Story, Lost Highway to Wild at Heart and, of course, Twin Peaks.