Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Gojirosan 15th June 2012 05:58 PM

Sadly Ark Of The Sun God is NOT English friendly. However, the picture is loads better than I was expecting.

It'll do as a curio! It was cheap.

Pete 15th June 2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 250607)
Sadly Ark Of The Sun God is NOT English friendly. However, the picture is loads better than I was expecting.

It'll do as a curio! It was cheap.

:(

Gojirosan 15th June 2012 06:05 PM

Warbeck is still hilarious in French! :lol:

Susan Foreman 15th June 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 250606)
To be honest, I think labelling any film as 'evil' is simplistic and extremely provocative. Even something like The Triumph of the Will (a superb cinematic achievement) would struggle to meet that description and, though Birth of a Nation has some morally repugnant politics, I wouldn't label it as 'evil' either.

In terms of content (this really should the one for the 'most offensive film to 'thread), the one which comes closest is Der ewige Jude, a vile 'documentary' designed to stir of anti-Semitism in Nazi Germany. However, because it is so obviously an anti-Semitic work of propaganda, I found the period drama Jud Süß (another German propaganda film from 1940) to be more sinister, disturbing and devious. (Its director, Veit Harlan, stood trial for crimes against humanity.)

By way of explanation, I don't set out to watch Nazi anti-Semitic films – these two were part of a module I did as University on German cinema.

I will admit that I have little knowledge, understanding or interest in politics, but I have always found it incredibly ironic that the original Paul Wegener version of 'Der Golum' (1920), which was made in Germany with a German cast and crew, was stoutly pro-Jew

"In 16th-century Prague, a Jewish rabbi creates a giant creature from clay, called the Golem, and using sorcery, brings the creature to life in order to protect the Jews of Prague from persecution." - IMDB synopsis

Pete 15th June 2012 06:13 PM

CALAMITY OF SNAKES is an evil film imo. The sheer level of snake abuse in that film is truly horrific. If I could I'd have every print of it burned.

Bringer Of Funerals 15th June 2012 06:31 PM

I havent heard of any of those Nazi films

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 249949)

I'm considering treating myself to "Spirits of the Dead" for my next film marathon in two weeks time, after I get paid. But I just can't make my mind up.

PaulD 15th June 2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250622)
I'm considering treating myself to "Spirits of the Dead" for my next film marathon in two weeks time, after I get paid. But I just can't make my mind up.

It's very very good. Currently £6.45 at Zavvi

Gojirosan 15th June 2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 250622)

Do. It's worth it for Fellini's Bava-esque "Toby Dammit" segment alone. Vadim's bit tries the patience a little, but it looks pretty. Malle's take on "William Wilson" has Alain Delon in, so is obviously worth seeing!

Do get it, especially as it seems to be knocking around cheap at the moment.

SharonLynette 15th June 2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 250623)
It's very very good. Currently £6.45 at Zavvi

You sweet sweet man! I think I'm going to have to take all my change down to the bank tomorrow so I can get this and Manimal :blush: