Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Gojirosan 1st April 2010 09:45 AM

Re: Die, Monster, Die! on MGM Midnite Movies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 70776)
And I was jarred by the print MGM used. Whilst the picture is, for the most part, sharp and colours good, there seems to be quite a lot of damage to it - scratches, white spots etc and the edges of the 'scope frame seem a bit fuzzy compared to the central image. And although it is meant to be uncut there are a few really clumsy scene changes that lead me to believe that there has been more serious print damage and some frames have had to be removed. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know in case anyone was thinking of buying it.

The print improves as the film progresses, but it's still not a great transfer.

Flip the disk over and The Dunwich Horror, however, is a lovely transfer!

Gojirosan 1st April 2010 10:13 AM

Nice little trio arrived this morning:

Sleepless (Arrow, of course)
The House By The Cemetery (Arrow, this means I now have at least four DVDs of this film in the flat!)
Wilderness (Momentum. So cheap! It was still sealed and everything!)

:happy:

LineSix 1st April 2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 70973)
After really enjoying "King of New York" I thought I'd get another Abel Ferrara film "Driller Killer" (especially considering its £1.50)

The King of New York is superb, my favourite Gangster film of all time. Although The Driller Killer is nothing like KoNY, if you want something similar just go with anything he made in the 90's, more specifically the Bad Lieutenant, The Funeral and The Addiction. They aren't very alike, all of his films are different, but two of them star Christopher Walken and Bad Lieutenant is just quite crazy but a great film.

Gojirosan 1st April 2010 10:20 AM

Bad Lieutenant and The Funeral are Must See films, in my opinion.

Phats 1st April 2010 11:22 AM

I recently purchased Irreversible UK Collector's Edition and - as some may already know from my "what films have you seen recently?" thread - John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. I have a £5 Amazon voucher after complaining to them so shall look forward to putting that towards a DVD or two at some point.

Gigantor 1st April 2010 01:28 PM

Gray
women prison

Tombsy666 1st April 2010 02:03 PM

Just picked up Bruno Mattei's ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD and ZOMBIES: THE BEGINNING, will probably give these a view over the weekend:rockon:

re.form 1st April 2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 70973)
After really enjoying "King of New York" I thought I'd get another Abel Ferrara film "Driller Killer" (especially considering its £1.50).

Other films I've just ordered at nice prices =

Tombs of the Blind Dead (blue underground)
Q-the winged serpent (AB)
Living Dead Trilogy (AB)

Q is a brilliant bit of Cohen. Love that movie.

I recently bought Torso (shameless) & Hausa (Eureka).

antmumford 2nd April 2010 12:16 PM

Picked up some good bargains last week!

In Poundland I got:

American Gothic
Blood Sabbath
DeathBed
Don't Look in the Basement
Don't Ring the Doorbell
The Jackhammer Massacre
Night Fangs
Puppet Master
Satan's Little Helper

There were many more in there too like Demons 1 & 2, Fear 1 & 2. A great collection of horrors for a quid really. Keep up the good work Poundland!

And in Tesco for just £1

Pin

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd April 2010 12:19 PM

I have Deathbed in a Stuart Gordon Boxset from Fullmoon.Not even close to any of the best films they have ever produced but cretainly not the worst!