Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

g053584398 24th July 2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 259841)
yeah he is
but moved to Australia as a child - an arrogant New Zealander then!:)
but GLADIATOR is overrated imo

I'm not attempting to defend the character of the man Russell Crowe, but if you dislike films that contain arrogant actors or actresses, then you aren't really going to be able to watch many films without cause for concern; since many of them are unbelievably arrogant and self-obsessed. Since I'm unlikely to ever meet any of them I don't worry about whether or not they are pleasant human beings and just watch the films for what they are, namely entertainment.

James Morton 24th July 2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 259845)
I'm not attempting to defend the character of the man Russell Crowe, but if you dislike films that contain arrogant actors or actresses, then you aren't really going to be able to watch many films without cause for concern; since many of them are unbelievably arrogant and self-obsessed. Since I'm unlikely to ever meet any of them I don't worry about whether or not they are pleasant human beings and just watch the films for what they are, namely entertainment.

There are some actors which I dislike, for certain reasons, but still have them in my dvd collection, because they were good in the film/s
I could name a few.....

Baseball Fury 24th July 2012 02:26 PM

Red Dragon - Awful film, but Fiennes was good.
Hannibal (film) - Absolutely terrible, just felt like a cartoon.
Hannibal (novel) - Terrible writing, pacing, plot - just really dull.
Manhunter - Great film, but looks like a Hall and Oates video.
Gladiator - Good, like the epics of old. Not amazing though.

Russell Crowe - I like him, his performance as Bud White was career making, Gladiator made him a star. A few duffers (A Good Year, Robin Hood) but all in all, pretty solid.

Ridley Scott

Bad: Robin Hood, A Good Year, Kingdom of Heaven (original cut), 1492, Hannibal
Alright: Prometheus, Legend, Black Hawk Down, Matchstick Men, Someone to Watch Over Me
Good: Gladiator, Black Rain, Thelma and Louise, The Duellists
Great: Blade Runner, Alien, Kingdom of Heaven (directors cut), American Gangster

Never seen: White Squall, Body of Lies

I think that covers my opinion on all current discussions? Haha

Slippery Jack 24th July 2012 02:30 PM

Blimey, three pages of Ridley chat! One more thing: he goes great audio commentaries, and I enjoy his no bullshit interviews :cool: . . .

Invid Ninja 24th July 2012 03:20 PM

Veering off completely from the current topic of discussion, I'm highly interested in picking up the recent Scorpion Releasing DVD's of movies like The Survivor and Final Exam. Would you guys recommend them as a high quality company?

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th July 2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 259861)
Blimey, three pages of Ridley chat! One more thing: he goes great audio commentaries, and I enjoy his no bullshit interviews :cool: . . .

You started it by your comment on me picking up A Good Year. ;):nod::lol::)

Slippery Jack 24th July 2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 259808)
Just got my first Raro title, Live Like A Cop, Die Like A Man

I lied. I bought Murder Obsession the other day :blush: . . .

Slippery Jack 24th July 2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 259879)
You started it by your comment on me picking up A Good Year. ;):nod::lol::)

I suppose I did. Have you watched it yet :lol: . . . ?

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th July 2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 259882)
I suppose I did. Have you watched it yet :lol: . . . ?

Don't be daft...

...everyone says its shite. :lol:

I'll probably like it though.

bdc 24th July 2012 07:31 PM

Received this today... :)

Blade Runner - Five-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition - Limited Tin Box (1982) (Warner UK)

Bought this just for the 1982 International Version...and maybe the extras... ;)

http://dv1.us/p1/809/105809-d0.jpg