Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree151367Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2012, 06:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 87811

Im hoping to snag this Friday it was behind the counter in cash converters for €15 which is a steal but he would not sell it to me today he was holding it until Thursday or Friday.
I have that Boxset (well I bought it for my dad years ago, but I nick it from him from time to time). Just don't watch the colourised versions. They look terrible.
Old 24th October 2012, 06:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

That reminds me of...

Old 24th October 2012, 06:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I have that Boxset (well I bought it for my dad years ago, but I nick it from him from time to time). Just don't watch the colourised versions. They look terrible.
I hate colourised films !
Old 24th October 2012, 07:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
Just came back from a big movie sale. Picked up these:
Deadwood:Complete Series
Arrested Development:Complete Series
Mr Show:Complete Series
Extras:Complete Series
Old Boy
Curb Your Enthusiasm Seasons 1-5
Chappelle Show:Complete Series
The Brainiac
O Lucky Man:SE
Bill Hicks Live
Memento:SE
The Departed:SE
Its Always Sunny In Philidelphia Seasons 1-2
Complete Denis Leary
Little Britian Series 2-3
Sopranos:Complete series
Newfoundland Aquarelles

Just managed to check them out and put them away.
Some good choices you've made there. I especially like Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Sopranos and the very, very, very under-rates Always Sunny in Pilladelphia.

The only one I don't like is Little Britain.

I can take or leave Bill Hicks. He was really funny at times, but I could've done without the funny noises/breathing down the microphone.
Old 24th October 2012, 07:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Great choice with O Lucky Man That whole Mick Travis trilogy comprising of if... - O Lucky Man - Britannia Hospital is really superb...
Old 24th October 2012, 07:21 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
That reminds me of...

Oh god that was dreadful! Making the zombies bright green ruined the opening scene.
Wes likes this.
Old 24th October 2012, 07:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah, definitely a mistake, but I think George Romero sanctioned the colorization to recoup a few bucks of the untold millions someone made from Night of the Living Dead. This was how I first saw the film, and seeing the b/w Tartan VHS a few years later was a revelation....
Old 24th October 2012, 07:35 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yeah, definitely a mistake, but I think George Romero sanctioned the colorization to recoup a few bucks of the untold millions someone made from Night of the Living Dead. This was how I first saw the film, and seeing the b/w Tartan VHS a few years later was a revelation....
First time I got to see it in b+w was when channel 4 screened it, before then the crappy 4-front tape was the only way to own it, for ages I wondered why Johhny and Barbera didn't freak out more when they saw a LUMINOUS GREEN man shuffling through the graveyard. Then watched the B+W and realised their not supposed to realise he's some kind of monster until he attacks, it totally alters the impact of the scene. Ironically if they had just given the zombies natural skin tone it would still look naff but might have worked a little better.

They have re-colorised the film recently and done a better job, but I still refuse to watch it in anything but b+w, same with the LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS blu released by legend films.
mark meakin and Wes like this.
Old 24th October 2012, 07:41 AM
Active Cultist

I watched the Synapse blu ray of Twins of Evil yesterday. Picture-wise very similar to The Curse of Frankenstein - ie crappy opening scene but pretty good thereafter. I guess Hammer night time business will never look great in HD and we better just deal with it. Peter Cushing's opening line in this movie is one of my all time favs - when he first spots the Collinson twins - 'What. Kind. Of Plumage. Is This?' Who would win a witch-finder face off - Cushing or Price? I just don't know and indeed don't even know why I'm pondering this when I should be starting work. One last point - why do Synapse do these great releases and then stick them in a crappy wafer thin blu-ray case that always arrives mangled?
oaxaca likes this.
Old 24th October 2012, 07:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Absolutely... and the film was born to be made in b/w whether it was made in 1968 or 2008... Jesus those 4Front tapes were just dreadful and there were a lot of decent films on that imprint - a lot of Palace stuff... Those gold sleeves were appauling...

keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!