Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

mbv 13th January 2010 02:14 PM

Just watched Antichrist. Looks and sounds amazing.
Really enjoyed this movie. I can see why a lot of people would hate this but I thought it was great, some very disturbing scenes in it.

mbv 13th January 2010 02:26 PM

These arrived today..

Street Trash
Blood Feast 2
New York Ripper
Who saw her die
Flavia the heretic

Rob Strange 13th January 2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 57463)
Just finished Memories of Murder on Blu, Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, the film is stunning, absolutely stunning.

Memories Of Murder? On blu ray??? Must seek and buy immediately!

A cracking film. A sort of asian cousin to Zodiac, but (imo) a little bit better. I think Joon-ho Bong is proving to be a fantastic director, with his new film Mother receiving wonderful reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 57546)
Just watched Antichrist. Looks and sounds amazing.
Really enjoyed this movie. I can see why a lot of people would hate this but I thought it was great, some very disturbing scenes in it.

I've Antichrist on the top of the pile. I'm really looking forward to giving it a spin.

Philleh 13th January 2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Strange (Post 57562)
Memories Of Murder? On blu ray??? Must seek and buy immediately!

A cracking film. A sort of asian cousin to Zodiac, but (imo) a little bit better. I think Joon-ho Bong is proving to be a fantastic director, with his new film Mother receiving wonderful reviews.

Aye, came out in Korea last month! :woot: Get it as soon as! Extra's are exactly the same as the Korean DVD release from '03, but it's worth double dipping for the A/V upgrade!

I also picked up Mother, which will be tonights entertainment - can't wait. Bong is my favourite Korean director. :thumb:

Ste67GB 13th January 2010 06:46 PM

Strip nude for your killer - still to watch and The Antichrist, not the new film but the 70,s Italian Exorcist rip off, think it was also known as The Tempter - not as sleazy as I thought it would be. Got from Amazon.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th January 2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 57490)
I dont think thats a No Shame release Reaps, Its Raro Video. Raro's dvds are pretty good though.

You're right-Raro!:thumb::biggrin:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th January 2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 57491)
Yeah, that's Raro Loopo - pretty cheap too at the moment on their website Reaps! :thumb:

http://www.rarovideo.com/default.asp...eto%20italiano

Yeah I saw that Phill.:thumb:
However,I paid 18 quid from an Amazon seller!:(

Won't do that again eh?;)

Anyone seen it though?

And anyone seen their Werewolf Woman?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th January 2010 07:08 PM

Picked up THE DEPARTED and DEATH SENTENCE cheap in Blockbuster today.
However,they didn't have ANTICHRIST.
Neither did ASDA or TESCO.:rolleyes:

pedromonkey 13th January 2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 57495)
I've checked my usual haunts and it is currently OOP and out of stock everywhere. Even Amazon and ebay have nothing.

cheers for the heads up dude.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th January 2010 11:31 PM

I watched Blue Underground's THE LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE tonight.
What can I say?
It looked and sounded ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.
As if it was filmed this year!:pop2:

nekromantik 14th January 2010 06:09 AM

Everyone needs to see Night of the Creeps on bluray!!! Its a region free disc from the US so grab it asap.

This movie is so much fun and I fell in love with it after my first watch, now I understand why its a cult classic and I do really hope that Dekker does make part 2 like he said he wants to on one of the features.

Tom Atkins is awesome in this and I love the line "Thrill Me!!"

The Video looks stunning for a old movie and I give kudos to Sony on this release, the extras are cool too.

9/10

Daemonia 14th January 2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 57634)
I watched Blue Underground's THE LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE tonight.
What can I say?
It looked and sounded ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.
As if it was filmed this year!:pop2:

Oooh, lovely - I wish my copy would arrive! I'm dying to see this on Blu-ray! :)

pedromonkey 14th January 2010 02:58 PM

just picked up.....

SHE
PROJECT A
BEATS COPS
DEATHSTALKER
ONCE A THIEF
COFFY

this lot cost me £20.00

Philleh 14th January 2010 03:05 PM

Sheeeeit, I remember paying £20 for Beast Cops on its own (worth every penny mind)! :lol:

And Project A!!

Good bargains, sir!

pedromonkey 14th January 2010 03:12 PM

beast cops and project A are from the HK legends Magazine, i didn't get the full artwork but looking on amazon these films are going for about 20-50 quid.

Philleh 14th January 2010 03:17 PM

Wow, glad to see they haven't lost their value over the years!! Did you check CEX out? They usually have a few legit HKL DVDs going, as well as some of the magazine releases.

pedromonkey 14th January 2010 03:26 PM

i was in there about a week ago, nothing there of any merrit really, got these from D'vynal records on mackingtosh place opposite the george. He's selling 3 4.99 movies for £10.00 at the moment.

Pete 14th January 2010 03:38 PM

I got the HK Lenegends Magazine discs of The Killer and Drunken Master from £Land.

pedromonkey 14th January 2010 03:43 PM

good score there loops, funnily enough i watched The Killer the other night, Woo really is the best Action director around, it's a shame he's not been allowed to bring his style fully to the US. I have the HKL mag version of City On Fire with Chow Yun Fat

Pete 14th January 2010 03:48 PM

I have never seen The Killer or City on Fire. The only JW films I have seen are Face/Off, Hard Boiled, Hard Target and Paycheck.

I had the HKL CoF SE but swapped it.

I really should check out his earlier HK films.

pedromonkey 14th January 2010 03:52 PM

City on Fire was directed by Ringo Lam. Its basically the film which Tarantino ripped im homaged Reservoir dogs from. It's very cool. The Killer is probably my favourite john woo film, it's just so balletic in the gun battles and unlike most action films, it has a heart, it has a story of betrayal, friendship, love and justice. Plus the performances by Yun Fat and Danny Lee are fantastic. definately watch this loops you will not be sorry.

Pete 14th January 2010 03:56 PM

I knew Tarantino ripped it off, but for some reason I always thought it was directed by John Woo:dizzy:

Cheers PM, I might watch The Killer tonight or tomorrow:thumb:.

pedromonkey 14th January 2010 03:59 PM

you should also check out Woo's first Action film A BETTER TOMORROW, because of that film hong kong cinema changed.

Rob Strange 14th January 2010 04:03 PM

It's a great disc. A massive upgrade from the R2 Anchor Bay disc.

KPWNINJA 14th January 2010 04:35 PM

Picked up a few DVDs myself this week:

The Bronx Warriors Trilogy
The Last Horror Movie
The Manson Family
The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
Saw V

Been looking forward to watching The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue for ages as it's one of the few Undead movies I've seen. :)

nekromantik 14th January 2010 05:33 PM

Am so close to buying The New York Ripper on bluray for £13 from Movietyme...am waitin to see if they will send those £1 vouchers thought.

If anyone has one that they dont wanna use then PM me...
:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th January 2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 57669)
Oooh, lovely - I wish my copy would arrive! I'm dying to see this on Blu-ray! :)

It's gonna blow you away Dae!

DeadAlive 14th January 2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 57708)
I have never seen The Killer or City on Fire. The only JW films I have seen are Face/Off, Hard Boiled, Hard Target and Paycheck.

A Better Tommorrow and A Better Tomorrow 2 are also well worth checking out as examples of Heroic Bloodshed but I'd have to say that my favourite John Woo film is A Bullet In The Head.

Gojirosan 14th January 2010 11:39 PM

The Funhouse
Lake Placid
Assault On Precinct 13
(original)
Switchblade Romance
Wild At Heart
Pretty Persuasion
House Of Flying Daggers
Lost In Translation
Brokeback Mountain
Camp Blood II
Skinned Deep
Skinned Alive
Jerry Springer: The Opera
Stardust
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
Lilo & Stitch: Special Edition
The Lost World
Hitch-Hike

Maybe a few others...

...expecting the US box-set of the Blind Dead films any day now too!

vincenzo 14th January 2010 11:47 PM

Some good titles there Gojiro. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th January 2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 57773)
...expecting the US box-set of the Blind Dead films any day now too!

A great set it is too Gojirosan. :nod:

Daemonia 15th January 2010 12:57 PM

That's music to my ears, reaps! All I need now is for the postie to deliver the damn thing!!

Had Leon through this morning. I'll be giving that one a watch over the weekend. :)

pedromonkey 15th January 2010 01:26 PM

just ordered these on amazon.

Scanners
Darkman trilogy
Operation condor 2
Krull
Truck Turner
Triple Cross (Sonny Chiba)
YAKUZA boxset.
(contains Graveyard of Honor, Cops Vs Thugs and Japan Organised Crime Boss)

25 quid the lot.

42ndStreetFreak 15th January 2010 01:38 PM

"Watchmen" - 'Ultimate Cut'. 5 disc box.

nekromantik 15th January 2010 02:45 PM

Just placed me order for The New York Ripper blu :)
Should have it in a week.

Philleh 15th January 2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 57749)
A Better Tommorrow and A Better Tomorrow 2 are also well worth checking out as examples of Heroic Bloodshed but I'd have to say that my favourite John Woo film is A Bullet In The Head.

Couldn't agree more DoA! Bullet in the Head is truly epic, with some incredible sequences. I know it's not Woo but Tsui Hark's A Better Tomorrow 3 is an enjoyable movie also.

42ndStreetFreak 15th January 2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 57834)
Couldn't agree more DoA! Bullet in the Head is truly epic, with some incredible sequences. I know it's not Woo but Tsui Hark's A Better Tomorrow 3 is an enjoyable movie also.

"ABT 3" is a better movie than "ABT 2" for me.
"ABT 2" is so stupendously silly and unintentionally funny. Woo almost went too far. It's more like a 'party clips' movie.

The end is a superbly crafted slice of Heroic Bloodshed, but Woo messes up on any serious aspect (unlike the first film) in the cartoon way the main characters take massive injury and keep on going. It's the HK version of Monty Python's "Grail" 'Black Knight'.
The silly twin brother plot (a desperate attempt to get Chow back, but it shows how good Chow is as despite looks the characters are actually quite different) and the 'stop dying for a second you haven't finished deciding' phone call scene sum up the dodgy plot and unintentional silliness.

As a clip film for parties (or as an example of HK gunplay) it's fine...but as an actual movie it's not that good and for me...(and Woo agrees)...It's his worst non-Hollywood film.

Whereas I agree on "Bullet". The rather OTT finale aside (a controversial aspect of the film's production history) it's a well crafted, serious, piece of movie making.

But I think "The Killer" is just perhaps Woo's best film (massive overload of typical Chines melodrama included).

"Hard Boiled" fails plot and character wise (not one likeable character to be seen...even Tequila is not that likeable) but as an action film it's stunning. But it kind of plays like Woo's resume for Hollywood (who ironically then stopped him from doing anything as good, well crafted, violent, or boundary pushing action wise. Which is surely why they gave him a job in the first place!).

Philleh 15th January 2010 04:15 PM

Very true, the ABT2 trailer is more entertaining than the full film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th January 2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 57823)
just ordered these on amazon.
Krull

Great film! :thumb: Used to watch it all the time when I was a kid. :biggrin:

Philleh 15th January 2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 57828)
Just placed me order for The New York Ripper blu :)
Should have it in a week.

I'm hoping mine has arrived today, or arrives tomorrow!! :thumb: