Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

PaulD 28th October 2012 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up. Annoyingly it was £15.24 on Amazon Marketplace and I really didn't want to risk Customs charges even if it's only 24p over. It finally occurred to me to check Amazon.com where it's $19 which is about £12.33. Even with the $4 p&p it comes to about £17 overall which is the same price as on Marketplace

PaulD 28th October 2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 287200)
Some films are ok in 3d (drive angry, pirahna 3dd) but prometheus loses something in the translation as did the avengers, it really detracts from the cinematography.

Also I think its rotten to charge so much extra for 3d. Drive angry, ghost rider and pirahna 3dd as well as conan, had the 3d option on the disc at NO EXTRA COST, while other films cost between 6-10 quid more for the priviledge.

To be I just think it's unnecessary. No-one watches a film and thinks "Hmm..that person is small...oh no...wait, he's just in the background" - depth is achieved already through depth of field and the way films are shot. I just genuinely don't find it immersive at all and can't wait for it to fall on it's arse again like it's done everytime in the past.

To be honest the fact that they're forcing people to buy the 3D copy of Prometheus if they want the extras (the first film I've seen which really puts a lot of emphasis on the significance of the extras to enhance the story -"Questions will be answered!"*) shows that 3D is already in trouble.

*which is a really amusing way of saying "Yes the film as a bit of a confused mess at times but watch the deleted scenes and commentary and you'll see what we were trying to do

keirarts 28th October 2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 287203)
To be I just think it's unnecessary. No-one watches a film and thinks "Hmm..that person is small...oh no...wait, he's just in the background" - depth is achieved already through depth of field and the way films are shot. I just genuinely don't find it immersive at all and can't wait for it to fall on it's arse again like it's done everytime in the past.

I agree.
but....

The ones I mentioned actually did some fun gimmicky things with the 3d . Pirahana, Ghost Rider, drive angry and my bloody valentine 3d were all made to be about the 3d so they add a level of fun to the proceedings. Aside from the 3d re-issue of bloody valentine all these were 3D at no extra cost. If more company's released their stuff like this more people would try 3d.

Make Them Die Slowly 28th October 2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 287196)
Not just films but a few things I got for my birthday

Attachment 88250

MAREBITO is a fantastic film.

bdc 28th October 2012 08:51 AM

Happy b-day! :party:

nekromantik 28th October 2012 10:12 AM

Back when blu ray was new. They cost almost £10+ more then dvd counterparts.
Back then people were saying its not going to take off...people need to realise prices will drop over time. A year ago you could not get a 3D TV for less then £1000 but now you can get one for £500.

Brightness reduction is only a disadvantage of active 3D. Passive 3D TVs use higher brightness when in 3D mode and it can be turned up even more.

Delirium 28th October 2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 287204)
I agree.
but....

The ones I mentioned actually did some fun gimmicky things with the 3d . Pirahana, Ghost Rider, drive angry and my bloody valentine 3d were all made to be about the 3d so they add a level of fun to the proceedings. Aside from the 3d re-issue of bloody valentine all these were 3D at no extra cost. If more company's released their stuff like this more people would try 3d.

"Gimmicky" is right, it adds nothing. I've seen Pirahana and Drive Angry in both 3D and 2D, and prefered the 2D everytime. Burton's Alice in Wonderland I saw twice at the cinema - 3D and 2D - and the 2D version was a far more enjoyable experience. 3D is a distraction, pure & simple.

Rik 28th October 2012 11:34 AM

I don't mind watching a film in 3D at the cinema, but wearing those glasses for about 90 minutes is enough for me, I will never by a 3D TV because I don't want to sit wearing uncomfortable glasses every time I want to watch TV

Refused 28th October 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 287257)
I don't mind watching a film in 3D at the cinema, but wearing those glasses for about 90 minutes is enough for me, I will never by a 3D TV because I don't want to sit wearing uncomfortable glasses every time I want to watch TV

They show 2D images as well ya know? :tongue1:

Rik 28th October 2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 287258)
They show 2D images as well ya know? :tongue1:

Do they? I was under the impression that everything you watch is in 3D, even if it isn't a dedicated 3D channel