Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Gojirosan 11th May 2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 78511)
"Elvis: The Movie"- ON DVD AT LAST!! Cozy, but damn fine bio. Sure as shit beats the crap out of anything Carpenter has directed for the last 22 years.

Sweet!

MUST BUY!!! My old VHS deserves retirement!

pedromonkey 12th May 2010 10:41 PM

recieved Ilsa the Wicked Warden and Grindhouse double of Don't Open the Door and Don't look in the Basement, both trade items from DarthElvis. Cheers my Lord...

Vampix 13th May 2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 78874)
Guess I have a problem with the apocalyptic coming of Satan being a few bums in an alley way and a group of dicks in a little warehouse.
Or the fact Satan is gunk in jar.
Or that in a horror film I don't really want to spend ages listening to an obnoxious Chinese guy hiding in a cupboard do a bad stand up comedy routine for a woman with strawberry jam on her face...because Carpenter had decided horror, and the audience, was not worth taking seriously any more.

Good score though. Shame about the film it was used on.

Fair enough, but I still think it's great and so do a lot of other Carpenter fans. :nod:

Philleh 13th May 2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 78867)
What? Last sentence did not even make sense.
If you're going to be smug with me, at least make sense while doing it.

I have no problem with 'out there'. I have a problem with nothingness and bullshit though.

Spoilers they be here:

When a film ends with a wife watching her husband, indeed welcoming her husband, being butchered all because of a single line "you let him go"...You need to damn well explain that line!!

Seems the entire film was hanging on this one line, and no one can agree on what the hell that meant from what I have read.

Let him go swimming?
Chased/argued him before the tsunami but let him go?
Let him go in the sense that he (despite slogging though jungle hell and spending countless amounts of cash!) accepted their son was dead?

WHAT?

Why did the old woman on the boat get so scared of the wife?
Why did the kids kill people?
Why did they kill the husband?
Why did they not kill the wife?
Was she a sudden mother figure? Well why? I saw no other women around being 'kept', so why this particular white woman?
Were the kids feral?
Were the kids spirits?
If they were it seems these spirits had physical form...so were they spirits or not?
And why JUST kids? No one mentioned that 'Vinyan' were JUST kid's spirits.
What was that damn huge as building stuck in the middle of the jungle?
Who were the old couple in the hut?
Was the son even there really, or a spirit, or not there at all?
If he was there, why? No other kids were white.
Where was the son supposedly drowned anyway?
Why would HIS spirit end up in a jungle with native spirits?

But hey...who cares about any of that!
Because it's so deep and meaningful and as such can ignore basically anything that 'lesser films' could never get away with.

So you have issues with movies that let the audience make up their own conclusions?

Just because it's purposefully abstract, distant and ambiguous doesn't mean there isn't something there to be found. Like Don't Look Now, Twenty-nine Palms and Anti-Christ they are a different style of horror movies, ones that let the viewer decide what happened, it's not going to spell out everything/anything even for you - especially it's dialogue!

The ghosts, Vinyan, are those who have died terrible deaths and were unable to move on, she bought into the Thai myth while going through a mental breakdown. The ending is actually her killing her husband, we see it through her eyes as it were - at that moment she was her dead, bitter son.

You see bullshit, I see a fantastic and uncompromising piece of cinema.

BioZombie 13th May 2010 05:15 PM

After days of letterbox watching my Madman 2 disc copy of The Man From Hong Kong has arrived. I will be watching it later. I notice it comes with two bonus Brian Trenchard Smith films, Hospitals Don't Burn Down a 24 min short and Kung Fu Killers which from the looks of things on IMDB is a feature length documentry, I guess about kung fu.

Without even putting either disc in the player I am impressed with this package.

Just wating on Stunt Rock to arrive now...

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:39 PM

My German blu-ray of Strange Days popped through the letterbox yesterday.Had a quick scan through the disc and it looks gooooooooood. :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:43 PM

My THE HOWLING and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET arrived today!:clap:

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 79193)
My THE HOWLING and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET arrived today!:clap:

Oooo nice.Since The Howling is a Kinowelt release like Strange Days,I assume it had a reversible cover without that enormous ratings logo? I know their Flash Gordon disc is reversible.May order it and The Howling this weekend.

Gojirosan 13th May 2010 07:46 PM

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage turned up yesterday.

I watched a few minutes to see what it looked like. I pretty much looked like this: :eek:

Amazing disk!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 79199)
Oooo nice.Since The Howling is a Kinowelt release like Strange Days,I assume it had a reversible cover without that enormous ratings logo? I know their Flash Gordon disc is reversible.May order it and The Howling this weekend.

Not opened them yet mate.....:lol:

I'll let you know though.....;)