Old 19th December 2012, 09:44 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Has to be the ultimate action film
I actually prefer police Story 3: Super Cop. Might be the added Michele Yeoh. But then again, the first film has some great scenes, that were ripped off in Tango & Cash, Rapid Fire, and Bad Boys 2.
Old 19th December 2012, 09:45 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
I watched Piranha 2 (DD)tonight,not as good as the first,but still an enjoyable t&a fest!
Hasslehoff and Gary Busey make it worthwhile......along with the slo-mo DD's!
Old 19th December 2012, 09:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post

Doctor Who: The Complete First Series (Christopher Eccleston) - £9.99 - I already have this, in the limited edition 'TARDIS' box, but that doesn't fit in then display cases we have, so I have "doubled dipped" for esthetic reasons!
My limited edition TARDIS box is held together by rubber bands. Its the crappest box set i own. A complete waste of space.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 20th December 2012, 05:48 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
My limited edition TARDIS box is held together by rubber bands. Its the crappest box set i own. A complete waste of space.
Must admit that my one has had to be repaired as well!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th December 2012, 06:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Found Jackie chan's police story from cash gen for 50p

Also got BLEACH series 8 parts 1 + 2 and series 9 part 1 for £1 each from a hospice charity shop.
Part 1 of series 9 is the Amagi filler arc, right? Nice scoop, thats insanely over priced at the moment.
Old 20th December 2012, 08:44 AM
Cult Addict

Finished watching nightmare on elm street 1-7 on blu.

Part 1 is still a classic and brings plenty of new ideas to a genre that had become somewhat stale at that point. Craven manages to make a convincing dream world for freddy to inhabit and englunds performance mixed with some great sound design make it an unnerving experience. Watching it again also highlights why the remake was such a disaster the dream sequences were flatly directed, could not care about any of the characters, No john saxon, second-rate freddy that wasnt scary at all. Worst thing is the remake was less enjoyable than the sequels (aside perhaps from part 2) and 6 was pretty bad.

Part 2 would have made a decent posession film, but it doesent make a good freddy film. If I didn't know better i'd say it was the result of using a script for a different movie entirely and simply changing the details to make it freddy. It barely tops the remake unfortunately, and only does so because it has an interesting and at the time unique subtext that makes it one of the few gay horror movies out there at the time it was made, and jack sholder is a telented enough director to avoid the mistakes the remake made and make the film reasonably interesting.

Part 3 is a real return to form and a hell of a lot of fun. Nice to see Heather langenkamp and the ever-awsome John saxon return, the plot and characters are interesting and the deaths are creative. The dream world is great and the team of chuck russell and frank darabont (who also made the excellent blob remake) make the material work really well.

Part 4. For me this is where the series starts to lose its edge. Renny harlin is a great visual director, the plot is still interesting enough and theres some great death scenes as well. The whole thing feels a bit too much like 'hollywood' if that makes any sense. The characters really feel like eighties cliche's and freddy is starting to become less of the monster and more of the clown. Still an enjoyable watch however.

Part 5. Take the problems I mentioned in part 4 and then dial them up a bunch. Director stephen hopkins is a talented fella but his debut Death machine was a little sloppily paced and dull and so was this. Some excellent visual style helps redeem things and I liked the end showdown with freddy.

Part 6. URRGH! Everything about it feels incredibly artificial and forced. I ENJOYED it more this time around, but more in the way I enjoy a cheesy horror flick, because frankly thats what this is. Bizarre celebrity cameos from alice cooper, rosanne barr and tom arnold and a nice guest appearence from johnny depp. The kills are all like something from a warner bros cartoon and freddy simply isn't frightening. Theres still a couple of interesting ideas in there and yaphet kotto is great.

NEW NIGHTMARE. Not going to put part 7 as this is in no way a continuation of the series. Wes craven is coming back and making a film that dissects the cultural and social impact of the low-budget horror film he made that captured enough peoples imaginations that it spawned five sequels and a tv show and became a cultural phenomenon. Manages to do what scream tried a few years better and do it better new nightmare is probably one of those rare beasts a genuinelly interesting and worthwhile horror sequel that does something interesting.

Say anything.

Decided to check out some cusak on blu-ray after all those nightmare films i've been watching over the past week so I started with this one. Cameron Crowes debut is still one of his best pictures, its warm funny and smart and geuinely heartfelt which is more than you can say about a lot of teen comedys made around the same time. A great love story thats well written and well acted and has a great soundtrack. The blu-ray looks fantastic as well and has a whole bunch of special features, its also region free.

Grosse point blank.

In some ways the spiritual successor to say anything (and perhaps all those eighties teen comedy's) Imagine say anythings lloyd dobler, lane from better off dead or the central character from any other eighties teen comedy after the film had finished up sticks and abandoned the sweetheart to join the army and become a proffessional killer. Now on the fast road to 30 he's taking stock of his life and heading back to his home town to attened his high school reunion (and perhaps the one last final job before he quits the life)
Like his fellow school leavers Martin Q Blank (geddit, he's a cipher a blank template for all those eighties kids) is the child of the regan era all grown up to become 'killers' in martins case literally, everyone has been damaged by the era in some respect. Grosse point blank is a smart and funny comedy with a great soundtrack, the blu-ray is region free but isn't that great. Sticking 15th anniversary edition on the packaging is great, but there are NO bonus features and the film looks like a dvd upscale. Fortunatley I paid very little for it, but this is a poor quality effort for a high quality film.
Old 20th December 2012, 08:47 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Part 1 of series 9 is the Amagi filler arc, right? Nice scoop, thats insanely over priced at the moment.
yeah, i'm cautious with later bleach considering how much filler began creeping in to the series, but at that price it would have been dumb to say no.
Old 20th December 2012, 08:59 AM
Cult Addict

oh, a quick ps...

Play.com - Buy Blade Runner: 30th Anniversary Special Edition (3 Discs) (with UltraViolet) (Blu-ray) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

BLADE RUNNER 30th anniversary (with the book and skimmer ect) is £14.99 on play!

I'm now skint entirely for the rest of xmas.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Great reviews Keirarts
I must be one of the only people on here or maybe even the planet, that actually like the NOES remake and would rather watch it than the pure awful part 2, the only reason I watched it again was because, like you, I wanted to watch them all in HD in order.
And Grosse Point Blank is one of my favourite films, I absolutely love Dan Ackroyd in this, especially the scene in the cafe where he meets up with John Cusack, guns drawn under the table, cracks me up every time
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th December 2012, 09:16 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Great reviews Keirarts
I must be one of the only people on here or maybe even the planet, that actually like the NOES remake and would rather watch it than the pure awful part 2, the only reason I watched it again was because, like you, I wanted to watch them all in HD in order.
And Grosse Point Blank is one of my favourite films, I absolutely love Dan Ackroyd in this, especially the scene in the cafe where he meets up with John Cusack, guns drawn under the table, cracks me up every time
cheers! I remember taking a day off college to go see this back in 96' and loving it, its still a favourite of mine all these years later.

Like this? Share it using the links below!