Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th January 2013 10:56 AM

A few of my Action Cult Uncut dvds arrived this morning from Germany. Should hopefully get the other 3 on monday.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/e3e5ujyh.jpg

Nemesis 12th January 2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 311023)
Where should I start with them?
All their covers look so horrendously bland I haven't bothered with any of them.

Man of Violence is pretty good but I enjoyed the Big Switch more, even though the former is clearly the better film. London in the Raw is an interesting Mondo style documentary showing the seedier side of London in the 60s. I really enjoyed Gerry O'Hara's films - All the right noises and Pleasure girls were very entertaining, but That Kind of Girl was more like a lengthy 60s public service announcement against the dangers of unprotected sex more than feature film. The Party's Over with Oliver Reed was a solid drama, so was Private Road.

I've still got to watch Herostratus, Joanna, Deep End and Voice Over.

Unfortunately, I really did not like Here we go round the mulberry bush - Barry Evans' character in this had an old head on young shoulders and I am not talking about wisdom.

The one real curio for me is Requiem for a Village which I saw the other night. It was quite extraordinary - I really do not quite know how to describe it. I know that I liked it and will probably rewatch it several times over. It's not for everyone though. But the real jewel in the crown for me was one of the shorts on that disc - An unfinished film, which shows a moment in time from different aspects in slo mo. Really really liked that one.

And that's something else - these Flipsides are packed with shorts, some of them sometimes being more interesting than the film itself; That Kind of Girl being an obvious case in point.

It's quite amazing - these films were long forgotten, never to be heard of again until Filpside came along. It's brilliant in terms of concept and execution.

bdc 12th January 2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 311613)
Very nice b!

Although, as a fellow Vista user, I feel your pain. ;)

Is it really that bad?
I know Vista is supposed to be a memory hog so I'm planning on putting in plenty of ram.
It looks very nice and it's obvious Windows 7 (I just started using 7 at work) and 8 are descendants of Vista.

I read somewhere that the main problem was that the hardware was not up to Vista's requirements at the time.

I'm in luck I guess as the version of Vista installed is home basic which is the least memory consuming. :)
I could try enabling aero (there's a cheat) in the future I guess.

Rik 12th January 2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 311623)
A delicious understatement.

Where Zavvi is concerned there are no rules!

Yeah, maybe I should have said it's random

Nemesis 12th January 2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 311626)
Is it really that bad?
I know Vista is supposed to be a memory hog so I'm planning on putting in plenty of ram.
It looks very nice and it's obvious Windows 7 (I just started using 7 at work) and 8 are descendants of Vista.

I read somewhere that the main problem was that the hardware was not up to Vista's requirements at the time.

Yes, bdc - it is bad, manageable but bad. I think on my next system I'll be looking into ubuntu - I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Rik 12th January 2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 311626)
Is it really that bad?

I couldn't wait to get rid of vista, XP was miles better, I'm currently on 7 which I have no problems with whatsoever. I suppose it all depends on what you use it for

bdc 12th January 2013 11:08 AM

You can upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista though (which is smoother and less memory consuming) or downgrade to XP. ;)

Rik 12th January 2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 311632)
You can upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista though (which is smoother and less memory consuming) or downgrade to XP. ;)

Yeah, I was planning on upgrading then my laptop died, so I just bought a new touchscreen PC instead, 2 years on and I've not had one problem...yet :pray:

keirarts 12th January 2013 12:02 PM

As far as ZAAVI go, I've had some stuff quickly, others i've ended up cancelling because two-three weeks later they still havent dispatched the bloody things! one friend of mine is doggedly waiting over a month now for a dispatch of southern comfort!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th January 2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 311623)
A delicious understatement.

Where Zavvi is concerned there are no rules!

The first rule about Zavvi delivery times is you don't talk about Zavvi delivery times.