Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

wayfarer 23rd June 2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 88243)
I saw the Freedy v Jason in town last week and wasn't sure on it but your recommendation of a good transfer is all I need to get it Daemonia.

I also saw the 2 AVP BD's, are these worth getting on BD.? as i've not seen either film yet ,(just played the game) .

i can't remember much of AvP. That's not a good thing in my book. AvP2 is a fun movie but is basically a remake of the remake of The Blob with Aliens and Predators thrown in. I'll illustrate to anyone who doesn't believe it.;)

Philleh 23rd June 2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 88247)
I'm also picking up AWE releases at the moment. Could I be really, REALLY cheeky & ask if it's possible to PM me the links too? :eyebrows: :pray:

Top man if you could! :thumb:

Could I get in on this too, please? :pop2: :dance:

pedromonkey 23rd June 2010 11:12 AM

recieved Ice Statio Zebra and The Train today, two war film ive been wanting to see for ages..

Daemonia 23rd June 2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 88243)
I saw the Freedy v Jason in town last week and wasn't sure on it but your recommendation of a good transfer is all I need to get it Daemonia.

It looks amazing on BD, Vips. I compared it with the regular DVD (upscaled) and the detail and clarity didn't even come close - and I always thought the DVD was a good release! I just couldn't resist the sight of Freddy and Jason in HD (although the opening montage from previous Freddy flicks just makes me want them on BD even more - such a tease!). You won't be disappointed, mate - it's a cracking Blu-ray, I'm certainly not sorry I picked it up. :)

Sometimes, a good way to compare the quality is to check out the special features on the BD, usually, if there's a featurette on there, it'll have sequences from the film presented in regular SD DVD quality. I've done this a few times and been shocked at the massive difference in quality! It's suddenly like watching the film on fuzzy VHS! That's when you appreciate just how good the Blu-ray presentation you just watched really is.

Philleh 23rd June 2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 88242)
Also rented Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which whilst a bit overlong wasn't too bad. Rented The X-Files: I Want To Believe as well, which was utter crap IMO. Boring and ineffective, it dispenses with all the alien stuff and goes for a straight-up psychological thriller approach, with supernatural overtones. It was silly and pointless. Creator Chris Carter seriously needs to let go and move on, he's run out of ideas for this concept. I'd be open to another movie, but only if Carter steps aside and lets someone else do a spin on it.

Oh man, I adored Assassination of Jesse James! Casey Affleck, Garratt Dillahunt and Sam Rockwell all give fantastic performances and the film is one of the most beautifully shot films of the new millennium. Probably one of my favourite films of the last decade actually.

As for Chris Carter, he needs to figure out a way of making a Millennium movie - immediately!! :cool:

vipco 23rd June 2010 11:37 AM

I just got The Who film , The Kids Are Alright on BD. Aint had time to watch it yet but this is gonna be a real treat for me.

vipco 23rd June 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 88307)
It looks amazing on BD, Vips. I compared it with the regular DVD (upscaled) and the detail and clarity didn't even come close - and I always thought the DVD was a good release! I just couldn't resist the sight of Freddy and Jason in HD (although the opening montage from previous Freddy flicks just makes me want them on BD even more - such a tease!). You won't be disappointed, mate - it's a cracking Blu-ray, I'm certainly not sorry I picked it up. :)

Sometimes, a good way to compare the quality is to check out the special features on the BD, usually, if there's a featurette on there, it'll have sequences from the film presented in regular SD DVD quality. I've done this a few times and been shocked at the massive difference in quality! It's suddenly like watching the film on fuzzy VHS! That's when you appreciate just how good the Blu-ray presentation you just watched really is.

Thanks for the tip's mate.

Them teaser trailers really do make you wanna buy the BD's dont they, even when its of films that you have the ultimate dvd of.

Daemonia 23rd June 2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 88320)
I just got The Who film , The Kids Are Alright on BD. Aint had time to watch it yet but this is gonna be a real treat for me.

Oh man, I didn't even know that was out on BD. Such a brilliant film, I'll have to seek out a copy - immediately!

vipco 23rd June 2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 88252)
i can't remember much of AvP. That's not a good thing in my book. AvP2 is a fun movie but is basically a remake of the remake of The Blob with Aliens and Predators thrown in. I'll illustrate to anyone who doesn't believe it.;)

Cheers for the info Wayfarer, AVP2 does sound fun.

vipco 23rd June 2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 88324)
Oh man, I didn't even know that was out on BD. Such a brilliant film, I'll have to seek out a copy - immediately!

Just hoping they bring Quadraphenia to BD next.
The Kids Are Alright is an awesome film mate , im really looking forward to watching this one.