Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Prince_Vajda 13th April 2013 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...1&d=1365853136

Rik 13th April 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 335426)
I've never seen the movie, but I read the whole manga it's based off, and I think I may pass on the movie, unless it's been toned down.

I've not read the Manga, but it is very graphic, hasn't stopped me from watching it while eating my tea though :lol:

Vampix 13th April 2013 11:48 AM

I've read about "Ichi" and its censorship history in the UK, but have never actually sought out an uncut copy.For all its notoriety, for some reason it's just never interested me too much.

fuzzymctiger 13th April 2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 335435)
I've not read the Manga, but it is very graphic, hasn't stopped me from watching it while eating my tea though :lol:

The manga was just all way too stupidly brutal and disturbing, especially Ichi's backstory. Doesn't mean that I really enjoyed it, just that it would be harder to watch as a movie.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th April 2013 12:02 PM

I borrowed an uncut copy of Ichi when the Asian cinema boom was taking off in the early 2000's.

It was ok but there is so much better out there.

Refused 13th April 2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 335445)
I borrowed an uncut copy of Ichi when the Asian cinema boom was taking off in the early 2000's.

It was ok but there is so much better out there.

Better Asian films do you mean? If so, can you point me in the right direction?
I've always loved Asian films, but haven't seen a great deal outside of the usual ones.

Rik 13th April 2013 12:08 PM

I bought it because a friend of mine recommended it a few years ago, probably around the time The Ring inspired everyone to watch Japanese cinema, it's one of only two films by Miike that I own, the other being the far superior Audition. I have been meaning to check out some more of his output ever since borrowing the Agitator Fab Press book from the library a while back.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th April 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 335446)
Better Asian films do you mean? If so, can you point me in the right direction?
I've always loved Asian films, but haven't seen a great deal outside of the usual ones.

Save the Green Planet, A Tale of Two Sisters, Natural City, Attack the Gas Station and A Bittersweet Life are among my favourites.

I'm no expert on the subject though. :)

Refused 13th April 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 335451)
Save the Green Planet, A Tale of Two Sisters, Natural City, Attack the Gas Station and A Bittersweet Life are among my favourites.

I'm no expert on the subject though. :)

All Korean too, how did you know that was my preference?
I've been meaning to watch A Bittersweet Life for a long time now, seen a few of the directors other films.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th April 2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 335453)
All Korean too, how did you know that was my preference?
I've been meaning to watch A Bittersweet Life for a long time now, seen a few of the directors other films.

We used to pick up everything DVD Asia had in stock in their "Weekly cheap sale".

Some real bargains, and some utter dross as well, between three of us we used to order the lot for around £40 delivered.

A mate of mine used to buy all the limited editions of films. Some of them are absolutely stunning - ornamental knives, leather bound books, marble hand prints.

Unfortunately they don't produce them anymore.