Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

keirarts 13th April 2013 10:32 PM

I didn't buy this myself (as I already own it) but I spotted poundland is selling swimming with sharks starring kevin spacey.

I'm sure most labs members will have seen this or own it as well but anyone who hasn't should pick it up. Its a fantastic little movie and easily worth a quid of anyones money. The film is an insiders look at an intern played by frank whaley working for the boss from hell (spacey) in a bid to make it big in hollywood. Perhaps not the total classic sunset boulevard is, I still rate this film very highly indeed.

demonknight 14th April 2013 10:23 AM

Evil Dead 2 Special Edition Bluray has shipped from Amazon :woot:

Criterion7 14th April 2013 08:10 PM

Great pick up today.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedi...n.jpg_11092009

Justin101 14th April 2013 08:15 PM

I bought the Anvil doc on blu for £2.50 in CEX and The Road on blu for a fiver at the same time :) not had time to watch any films for well over a week i'm going stir crazy and have huge pile to catch up with!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 335826)
I bought the Anvil doc on blu for £2.50 in CEX and The Road on blu for a fiver at the same time :) not had time to watch any films for well over a week i'm going stir crazy and have huge pile to catch up with!

They are both really good films – completely different – and I really like them both. The Road isn't as much fun, but both are rewarding and life affirming in their own ways.

Frankenhooker 14th April 2013 09:14 PM

The Road is a very nearly brilliant adaptation of McCarthy's book. It isn't much fun, but it's very thought provoking and from a technical stand point, it's superb. I've always been a bit confused about why it didn't catch people's attention, when it was released plenty of people were reading the book, it won the Pulitzer and plenty of people bought the novel on the back of that award. Maybe the book was such a bummer people didn't want to go through it again.

I think it's a great film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2013 09:22 PM

I saw The Road at the cinema and thought it was a brilliant film. I was one of those who bought the book after watching the film (just as I did with No Country for Old Men) and can't say which one is better than the other; one is a great film and the other is a great book.

Frankenhooker 14th April 2013 09:33 PM

I preferred the book, but mainly because I read it before watching the film. But it's a great adaptation, acting, directing, cinematography, it's all spot on. I hope the film picks up fans as time passes because it's fantastic.

The Road is by no means the most depressing McCarthy book, I'm waiting for the film of 'Child Of God', that'll be good for a few laughs.

Delirium 15th April 2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 335835)
The Road is by no means the most depressing McCarthy book, I'm waiting for the film of 'Child Of God', that'll be good for a few laughs.

Have you read Blood Meridian, Or The Evening Redness In The West? Pure poetry. It's a blood-soaked, gothic western that really puts the 'wild' back in wild west. It has the Faustian legend running through it and McCarthy's prose has never been more lyrical.

Refused 15th April 2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgeworth (Post 335481)
Just look around for those old Tartan Asian Extreme DVDs and get a few blind buys, probably a few cheap ones. Miike is my favourite director, mostly his Yakuza movies.

Dead or Alive 1+2 (3 sucks), Agitator, Ley Lines, Rainy Dog, Shinjuku Triad Society, City of Lost Souls, Deadly Outlaw Rekka (from Arrow). His other releases on TAE are awsome also, just a little weird.

I'm a big Miike fan too, I've seen the majority of those. Watched Visitor Q last night, so bizarre.