Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree151206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2013, 11:29 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Yeah I watched that and didn't like it. In fact, it's faded so far in my mind I can't really remember what I didn't like about it . . .
Probably the rather uneven mix of nightmarish fantasy with an extended 'teenagers in a haunted house' sequence which feels like a clumsy copy of numerous American horror films. Plus, loads of people took issue with the 'non' ending but I really liked where it went.
troggi likes this.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:35 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Yeah I watched that and didn't like it. In fact, it's faded so far in my mind I can't really remember what I didn't like about it . . .
I don't think it's as good as Inside, but I've seen Livid twice and it definitely improves on second viewing.

This thread has made me realise how long it's been since I saw Inside, and I really should watch it again sometime soon but is a real pain with light nights as they aren't conducive to watching horror films.
Slippery Jack and troggi like this.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Fosco View Post
extended 'teenagers in a haunted house' sequence
Oh yeah, I remember it being very Scooby Doo . . .
troggi likes this.
Old 7th July 2013, 01:01 PM
Cultist

Not the best carboot takings today but I picked up...

DVD
Dead Mans Hand - some Full Moon cheese.
The Devils Rejects - glad to finally own it.
NEDS - great drama
Troll Hunter - I already own the Region 1 release, but couldn't resist picking up the lenticular slipcase for a quid.

VHS

Cobra - Warner sell thru.
Hellraiser 2 - another sell thru, but looks alright.
Rambo 3 - ex rental guild big box with classic artwork.

Also grabbed Sightseers cheap at a supermarket on the way home. Wanted to see it for a while and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 7th July 2013, 01:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just pre ordered The Brood Bluray. Won't have to wait long as it's being released tomorrow
Old 7th July 2013, 02:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

had nothing better too do today so went in to Newcastle and pick some stuff up from CEX. might of paid a bit much for dawn of the dead, never seen the hunger so that's a blind buy and got people under the stairs to give it another chance (with it might be coming a arrow blu release) because the first time i saw it i didn't like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0383.jpg (93.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0384.jpg (93.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0385.jpg (95.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.jpg (92.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 7th July 2013, 02:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Inside..I'm sorry, but I have to call it by its original title.. A'l'interieur is not only the best of the French new wave, but my favourite horror of the last decade. I LOVE that film. I first saw it at an early hours screening during a frightfest all nighter and it was an unbelievably intense experience.

I was hugely anticipating Livide, but found it ultimately hollow. Pretty to look at in parts, but really quite pedestrian. I could hardly fathom it was by the same directors.

Martyrs I also have a great love for, and I think it's an incredible film. I remember seeing it for the second time in a near empty Parisian cinema with my other half who was traumatised throughout. No subs, but it oddly didn't need it - and that shows the strength of the movie. I also have great love for Pascal Laugier's debut, Saint Ange (House of Voices) which is an excellent haunted orphanage film with almost Fulciesque elements in places. And one that's far superior to modern Spanish chillers like The Orphange or The Awakening.

The Tall Man, Laugiers third and most Hollywood is a neat ideas film, but it's also his least interesting of the three. I liked it, but it doesn't hold up to his two previous films.
Old 7th July 2013, 02:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
had nothing better too do today so went in to Newcastle and pick some stuff up from CEX. might of paid a bit much for dawn of the dead, never seen the hunger so that's a blind buy and got people under the stairs to give it another chance (with it might be coming a arrow blu release) because the first time i saw it i didn't like it
The Hunger is a great show. Hopefully you'll enjoy it, trebor.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:01 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

As for the French horror discussion, I personally prefer both Haute Tension and Martyrs over Inside. All three are much better than the pretty poor Frontier(s), though.

I also didn't think much of Livide. The first half was very atmospheric and creepy, and the film is certainly pretty in places, but it falls apart in the second half and becomes dull, with a dumb, disjointed, anti-climactic ending. Livide was nothing but wasted potential, for me.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Inside..I'm sorry, but I have to call it by its original title.. A'l'interieur is not only the best of the French new wave, but my favourite horror of the last decade. I LOVE that film. I first saw it at an early hours screening during a frightfest all nighter and it was an unbelievably intense experience.

I was hugely anticipating Livide, but found it ultimately hollow. Pretty to look at in parts, but really quite pedestrian. I could hardly fathom it was by the same directors.

Martyrs I also have a great love for, and I think it's an incredible film. I remember seeing it for the second time in a near empty Parisian cinema with my other half who was traumatised throughout. No subs, but it oddly didn't need it - and that shows the strength of the movie. I also have great love for Pascal Laugier's debut, Saint Ange (House of Voices) which is an excellent haunted orphanage film with almost Fulciesque elements in places. And one that's far superior to modern Spanish chillers like The Orphange or The Awakening.

The Tall Man, Laugiers third and most Hollywood is a neat ideas film, but it's also his least interesting of the three. I liked it, but it doesn't hold up to his two previous films.
So is House of Voices any good then?

Like this? Share it using the links below!