Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th November 2013 12:24 PM

My Nosferatu steelbook arrived today, along with the Invasion of the Body Snatchers BD (the Amaray, not the steelbook).

bdc 8th November 2013 03:11 PM

My local shop is still having their 3 for 10 Euro sale so picked these up this afternoon. ;)
All new and sealed Dutch dvd's.

The Toxic Avenger - Director's Cut (1985) (Donut)
Fallo! (2003) (Donut)
Sexy KIller (2008) (Shock)

Haven't seen Fallo! or Sexy Killer so comments are welcomed.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2pzwac9.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th November 2013 03:25 PM

Sexy Killer is excellent Bdc.

A genuinely different film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th November 2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 376482)
Sexy Killer is excellent Bdc.

A genuinely different film.

Completely agree – I really enjoyed it and like the strange mix of offbeat humour and gratuitous violence.

Delirium 8th November 2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 376454)
Two very good films.

Frozen shows how you can do snowbound wolf horror on a low budget.

Unlike The Grey which shows you how you can do it so, so wrong on a massive budget.

Odd, as I'm the polar opposite. Frozen was ok, but it certainly felt like it was over egging its idea and had nowhere to go. Whereas The Grey was a genuinely pleasant surprise - a surprisingly intense, existentialist, atmospheric survival horror. And I normally have little time for Neeson's tough guy roles.

trebor8273 8th November 2013 05:00 PM

10 Attachment(s)
picked these up from CEX after I had been too cinema. also pop into HMV but walk out in disgust at there prices Dr mabuse the gambler steelbook was £34.99:crazy:

most blind buys

silent rage
switch killer
moby dick
tora tora tora
stigmata
el chupacabra
chernobyl diaries

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th November 2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 376497)
Odd, as I'm the polar opposite. Frozen was ok, but it certainly felt like it was over egging its idea and had nowhere to go. Whereas The Grey was a genuinely pleasant surprise - a surprisingly intense, existentialist, atmospheric survival horror. And I normally have little time for Neeson's tough guy roles.

I felt Frozen sustained interest and more importantly tension despite it's confined working environment.

The Grey seemed so cliche ridden, perhaps that's because i love outdoors horror / thrillers, from The River Wild and Deliverance to Pig Hunt and Van Diemen's Land. I wasn't keen on the photography either, its washed out look seemed very fake. The worst thing was the jumpy editing during the wolf attacks, it was so quick you couldn't make anything out rendering them pointless.

I have to admit though i saw the film again for a second time earlier this week and did prefer it to the first time i watched it.

J Harker 8th November 2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 376504)
also pop into HMV but walk out in disgust at there prices Dr mabuse the gambler steelbook was £34.99:crazy:

What?!?!? That's bloody ridiculous. They were doing so well too.

trebor8273 8th November 2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 376508)
What?!?!? That's bloody ridiculous. They were doing so well too.

they had fall at the house of usher at 19.99 for both versions, strange as a few weeks ago the normal version was only 9.99. seems that they are back to there old ways again. Mizoguchi boxset was either 59.99 or 69.99, agree at one point they were doing so well, if there back to there old ways no one to blame but themselves if they shut

Bringer Of Funerals 8th November 2013 06:19 PM

Creepshow blu in HMV £20.99 - It can stay there