Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

sawyer6 16th November 2013 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:woot:

Zann 16th November 2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 378157)

Need to practice zen meditation again. :lol:

Will this help me stop buying BDs every other day?

demonknight 16th November 2013 12:23 PM

Received a Creepshow 1&2 poster from Strange Kids Club based in Austin,Texas. Its still in its tube so I've not had a look yet :)

BAKA 16th November 2013 12:23 PM

That Hitch set looks amazing Sawyer. I wasn't a fan of the last mausoleum style edition, but with film reel canisters, it seems much better suited.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...psf6b2319f.jpg

I am trying to cut down as we approach the holidays. Seven Samurai is my first purchase from the current B&N 50% Off Criterion sale. This is what happens when you go Zavvi exclusive BFI! Nice to finally see What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? get a UK release. Not a huge fan of The Wicker Man if I'm honest, but I'm keen to give it another chance (I don't dislike it, just find it hugely overrated). The Nosferatu Steelbook is divine, as is that Invasion Of The Body Snatchers artwork. Genuinely think the steelbook looks horrid in comparison, surprised so many are enamoured with it. Not a fan of The Hobbit: EE artwork, but the package is nice. I'll look forward to consuming that prior to Desolation's release. It's great to see Maniac Cop 2 get the release it deserves, not a fan of 3, but it has an interesting history. Volume 2 of the All Night Horror Marathon from Scream Factory has some gems on. I keep saying this, but I genuinely much prefer the titles they put out on DVD to their Blu-ray offerings.

trebor8273 16th November 2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 378179)
That Hitch set looks amazing Sawyer. I wasn't a fan of the last mausoleum style edition, but with film reel canisters, it seems much better suited.

I am trying to cut down as we approach the holidays. Seven Samurai is my first purchase from the current B&N 50% Off Criterion sale. This is what happens when you go Zavvi exclusive BFI! Nice to finally see What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? get a UK release. Not a huge fan of The Wicker Man if I'm honest, but I'm keen to give it another chance (I don't dislike it, just find it hugely overrated). The Nosferatu Steelbook is divine, as is that Invasion Of The Body Snatchers artwork. Genuinely think the steelbook looks horrid in comparison, surprised so many are enamoured with it. Not a fan of The Hobbit: EE artwork, but the package is nice. I'll look forward to consuming that prior to Desolation's release. It's great to see Maniac Cop 2 get the release it deserves, not a fan of 3, but it has an interesting history. Volume 2 of the All Night Horror Marathon from Scream Factory has some gems on. I keep saying this, but I genuinely much prefer the titles they put out on DVD to their Blu-ray offerings.

fantastic haul all great movies, well apart from contamination .7 tried 3 times to watch it

bdc 16th November 2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 378177)
Will this help me stop buying BDs every other day?

Certainly will. :nod: :lol:

Or you could try joining a yoga class. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6SZk7ylOLA

trebor8273 16th November 2013 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one delivery today. been a good week not many deliveries. don't think i have seen any of these movies

J Harker 16th November 2013 02:38 PM

So can anyone clarify what's going on with the new Nosferatu blu for me please? Does the steelbook have a different booklet to the standard amaray or is it the dvd that has a longer version of the booklet?

SShaw 16th November 2013 04:12 PM

Just one new Blu-Ray this weekend - The Fields (which I saw at Dead by Dawn last year). Unfortunately Revenge for Jolly has been put back to the new year while they flog a steel book special edition and no sign of Carrie. I should have bought it while in Madrid.

nosferatu42 16th November 2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 378179)

Im a big fan of the wicker man but i can see how new converts might not be impressed, people these days are used to a more flashy style of film making and the storyline may seem a little basic.
I think the wicker man is rooted in 70s reflective cinema in the way it takes a theme and meditates on it. Theres no other film like it, it examines the way we are touched by religion and how the way we are brought up controls our actions in life. It examines faith and two polar opposites, the christian ideal of responsibility and precognition and the fear of an omnipresent being who sees all you do and the pagan theology that we are all animals ruled by basic desires.
Both religions ask their subjects to perform rituals to gain favour with their god. Make of that what you will.;)
I know which side of belief i'm on personally.
oh and also it's run through with authentic folk songs.
A real artifact of its time and the kind of film you wouldn't see made these days.
oh and by the way when you watch the wall thumping scene again, realise that if he went in and gave her one he wouldn't have had his appointment with the wicker man at all, so much for faith.
Hope this doesn't sound like a rant, this is just my take on the film and everyone is entitled to their opinion. ;)