Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

demonknight 16th November 2013 07:27 PM

Rush - Clockwork Angels bluray is on the way ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 16th November 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 378227)
Im a big fan of the wicker man but i can see how new converts might not be impressed, people these days are used to a more flashy style of film making and the storyline may seem a little basic.
I think the wicker man is rooted in 70s reflective cinema in the way it takes a theme and meditates on it. Theres no other film like it, it examines the way we are touched by religion and how the way we are brought up controls our actions in life. It examines faith and two polar opposites, the christian ideal of responsibility and precognition and the fear of an omnipresent being who sees all you do and the pagan theology that we are all animals ruled by basic desires.
Both religions ask their subjects to perform rituals to gain favour with their god. Make of that what you will.;)
I know which side of belief i'm on personally.
oh and also it's run through with authentic folk songs.
A real artifact of its time and the kind of film you wouldn't see made these days.
oh and by the way when you watch the wall thumping scene again, realise that if he went in and gave her one he wouldn't have had his appointment with the wicker man at all, so much for faith.
Hope this doesn't sound like a rant, this is just my take on the film and everyone is entitled to their opinion. ;)

Oss Oss Wee Oss (1953) - Extract - YouTube

nosferatu42 16th November 2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 378278)

Exactly, nice example of my point MTDS. Good film.:)
Folk rituals and traditions are in some way the old versions of films. Taking a story and making it accesable to the masses. Like wise Punch and Judy and paintings in a church etc.
I'm sure i read that the final song in Wicker man- 'summer is a comin in' is one of the oldest known english folk songs. But i may have dreamt it, such is the life.;)

fuzzymctiger 17th November 2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 378227)
Im a big fan of the wicker man but i can see how new converts might not be impressed, people these days are used to a more flashy style of film making and the storyline may seem a little basic.
I think the wicker man is rooted in 70s reflective cinema in the way it takes a theme and meditates on it. Theres no other film like it, it examines the way we are touched by religion and how the way we are brought up controls our actions in life. It examines faith and two polar opposites, the christian ideal of responsibility and precognition and the fear of an omnipresent being who sees all you do and the pagan theology that we are all animals ruled by basic desires.
Both religions ask their subjects to perform rituals to gain favour with their god. Make of that what you will.;)
I know which side of belief i'm on personally.
oh and also it's run through with authentic folk songs.
A real artifact of its time and the kind of film you wouldn't see made these days.
oh and by the way when you watch the wall thumping scene again, realise that if he went in and gave her one he wouldn't have had his appointment with the wicker man at all, so much for faith.
Hope this doesn't sound like a rant, this is just my take on the film and everyone is entitled to their opinion. ;)

Last sunday, i went and saw the Wicker Man for the first time, as The Final Cut, at a local cinema that was showing it for the weekend.

And while i didnt find it that good at first, a bit strangely done with the musical sections and the OTT cop, it soon got very very uncomfortable and creepy, and by the time they reached the final day, i was absolutely mesmerized. A truly fantastic movie.

SCM 17th November 2013 09:58 AM

picked up hatchet 2 and in the loop yesterday

fuzzymctiger 17th November 2013 10:46 AM

$64 for the 2 Code Red Blu rays and £63 for the Goto Kickstarter boxset.

I said I'd do it, and I finally did

bdc 17th November 2013 11:18 AM

That does include shipping for the blu's btw. ;)

fuzzymctiger 17th November 2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 378351)
That does include shipping for the blu's btw. ;)

Haha, that it does. An absurd $17 for 2 blus to Australia. But I always included shipping in the product price in my eyes, as I'm still paying money for it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th November 2013 11:25 AM

7 Attachment(s)
This weeks new arrivals.

There seems to be a few of us picked up the Shout horror 4 packs recently. :nod: :)

bdc 17th November 2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 378353)
Haha, that it does. An absurd $17 for 2 blus to Australia. But I always included shipping in the product price in my eyes, as I'm still paying money for it.

Amazon marketplace now charges $14.29 international standard for 1 dvd...thanks to the USPS raising international postage...