Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th November 2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 378357)
Amazon marketplace now charges $14.29 international standard for 1 dvd...thanks to the USPS raising international postage...

This is why I always use UK marketplace which only charges £1.26 :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th November 2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 378364)
This is why I always use UK marketplace which only charges £1.26 :nod:

Me too?

It may take a few weeks for some new US releases to get there but that's fine with me.

bdc 17th November 2013 01:09 PM

That's a good idea but unfortunately only the "big sellers" can do that and I often order from small sellers. ;)

J Harker 17th November 2013 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up in town
Attachment 124606
based largely on the lashings of praise it's been getting around here.

ArgentoFan1987 17th November 2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 378409)
Just picked this up in town
Attachment 124606
based largely on the lashings of praise it's been getting around here.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great choice! Excellent programme! Can't wait until the last episodes come out I. Blu-Ray. I wasn't fond in Series four, though. Otherwise, it's an incredible show!

BAKA 17th November 2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 378227)
Im a big fan of the wicker man but i can see how new converts might not be impressed, people these days are used to a more flashy style of film making and the storyline may seem a little basic.

From my end that certainly isn't the case. I'm far from a spring chicken. I like a lot of 70's cinema, but it's actually films from the 50s-60s that is my main interest. Very far removed from the modern 'flashy style' of today. And it's certainly not the subversive elements or reflective cinema in general either. I'm a big fan of Welles' The Trial, Tarkovsky's Stalker, granted neither are Horror films, but off the top of my head they're two subversive delights I particularly enjoy.

I've read a great deal on The Wicker Man and can appreciate it, but it's not a film I am eager to seek out, or eager to rewatch (although I'm curious to see the 'Final Cut'). I've talked about it before, but I find the big 3 from 1973 overrated (including The Exorcist and Don't Look Now; despite being a fan of Daphne du Maurier). I'd much prefer to watch DePalma's Sisters from the same year, or Don't Torture a Duckling from the prior year, or Black Christmas from the year after.

I think everyone has a few movies that are almost universally adored that they don't really rate as highly as everyone else. I far from dislike any of them, I just don't love them, like the vast majority of others seem to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 378196)
So can anyone clarify what's going on with the new Nosferatu blu for me please? Does the steelbook have a different booklet to the standard amaray or is it the dvd that has a longer version of the booklet?

I think it's the original DVD release.

J Harker 17th November 2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 378423)
I think it's the original DVD release.

Sorry Baka, you mean it's the original dvd as opposed to the new restoration release that has a longer booklet?

BAKA 17th November 2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 378426)
Sorry Baka, you mean it's the original dvd as opposed to the new restoration release that has a longer booklet?

Sorry, the original DVD release has the longer booklet. I wasn't aware they released an updated DVD with this Blu-ray release. I have no idea why it's longer. That's just what I saw posted on Blu-ray.com though, I haven't got the original MoC DVD.

J Harker 17th November 2013 04:03 PM

Ah, thanks for that. I thought the new releases had a completely new booklet.

BAKA 17th November 2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 378429)
Ah, thanks for that. I thought the new releases had a completely new booklet.

I've just been looking into it some more, and it appears Eureka put up the article that is missing from the new release. It's right at the bottom of the page.

The new release has articles from: Gilberto Perez, Albin Grau, Enno Patalas and Craig Keller. The older release has all of those and one by Thomas Elsaesser. I think :lol: