Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Refused 21st November 2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 379218)
Did the envelope it came in have 'Washbag Outlet' written on it??

That's another one of The Hut Group's many brand names!

keirarts 22nd November 2013 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, out of the blue, Asda gave me a 20% discount day. With all my spending money tied up on Amazon purchases I didn't have a lot to spend I still went down and picked up a guilty pleasure of mine....

Attachment 124841

I'm sure there are people on here thinking WTF?! but I liked it.

Also to chip in on the man of steel debate. I like the film but don't love it. The Marvel stuff is better cinema, better though out, better scripting more faithful to the spirit of the characters and the comics they came from. Man of steel is nowhere near as bad as Green Lantern but its still a long way off getting near The Avengers, Thor 1 + 2, The Iron man films or Captain America. Even if you don't like the characters the films are better pieces of cinema. Unfortunately Zach Snyder is great at making things look pretty but when he tries to add substance it all falls apart. (watchmen does not count).

PaulD 22nd November 2013 06:06 AM

What Have You Bought Recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 379329)
Well, out of the blue, Asda gave me a 20% discount day. With all my spending money tied up on Amazon purchases I didn't have a lot to spend I still went down and picked up a guilty pleasure of mine....

The message preview for this in Tapatalk only showed the first 8 words which I, in light of your recent work-related issues, assumed to be followed with "the sack". Glad it's not so!

I finally ordered the 2 Code Res blus last night after being paid and am hoping to get Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Arrow) and the Kenneth Anger BFI blu before leaving Manchester today

And re MoS, the main problem (aside from the head-splitting finale) was that it seemed embarrassed to be a Superman film, in line with its cooler, grittier interpretation . The problem with Superman Returns was that it was far too indebted and reverent to what had gone on before but MoS seemed to go too much the other way, ignoring or revamping too much of the mythology (Krypton with dragons? Sod off!) and having characters apologising for calling him 'Superman' in an annoyingly arch and knowing way.

Rik 22nd November 2013 09:59 AM

Just ordered the new Halloween steelbook from Zavvi, came to £12.59 with my 10% student discount added :)

Bringer Of Funerals 22nd November 2013 10:49 AM

Just the 1 today

10,000 BC (Blu) with a very thick and well made slipcover

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd November 2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 379358)
Just the 1 today

10,000 BC (Blu) with a very thick and well made slipcover

Good film BoF. Have you seen it before?

PaulD 22nd November 2013 01:00 PM

Picked up the Kenneth Anger blu in Fopp as predicted but instead of Invasion of the Body Snatchers I went for the 88 Films/High Rising Productions Slice and Dice documentary. I kept meaning to pick it up at some point and it was only a fiver too which was a bonus.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd November 2013 01:09 PM

That Kenneth Anger Blu is superb, Paul. :nod:

sjconstable 22nd November 2013 02:31 PM

Yup, another Kenneth Anger fan over here :)

Demoncrat 22nd November 2013 02:46 PM

Mad Dog Morgan and Hatchet... UK dvds.