Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

J Harker 4th December 2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 381671)
Just ordered dust devil a blind buy, don't think I've ever seen it. What are people's opinion on this movie?

Edit
It's on netflix but that must be cut version as it's only 87minutes compared to the one I ordered which is 104

I contemplated watching Dust Devil a few nights ago funny enough. I've only seen it the once and that was a few years back and I predominantly remember it being a bit too weird for my liking. But I do need to give it another go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

SShaw 4th December 2013 08:32 PM

THis weeks films are Violet and Daisy which I know nought about, but the trailer piqued my interest and Siberian Education which I saw back in August at Fantasy FIlm Festival. Both are German blu's. I also spotted Now you see me, which is on my to buy list but is way too expensive at 17 Euros. I'll wait until I am back in the U.K. i January and hopefully pick it up for cheap at HMV or Fopp.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th December 2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 381646)
Just ordered it. With any luck will be here for weekend.

I had a flick through it earlier and it looks gorgeous, with excellent colours, clarity and stability. I'll watch it in full tomorrow and then go through the extra features.

oaxaca 4th December 2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Just ordered dust devil a blind buy, don't think I've ever seen it. What are people's opinion on this movie?

Edit
It's on netflix but that must be cut version as it's only 87minutes compared to the one I ordered which is 104

Dust Devil is excellent. Superb South African setting and there's a real isolation and atmosphere to the film, it relies more on these things than a linear narrative. And anything starring the late, great Zakes Mokae is worth owning! :D

Rik 4th December 2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 381695)
And anything starring the late, great Zakes Mokae is worth owning! :D

He was in an episode of the X Files that I watched the other day. Still think his best role was as the sadistic Peytraud in Wes Craven's Serpent & the Rainbow :nod:

A film that I think deserves the Arrow special treatment :pray:

nosferatu42 5th December 2013 02:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Picked these up in cash converters and charity shops.

Attachment 125508 Attachment 125509

Attachment 125510 Attachment 125511

£ 5 for the lot.

Only ever seen 'House' which is not amazing but is entertaining if you're in the right mood.
Seen Shogun Assassin so thought id check out 'peril'
Used to see the video of 'Suburbia' as a kid in the rental store and always fancied seeing it.
'Absentia' has a quote from Kim Newman on the box saying he rates it so must be worth a look.:)

Jinx_Barkman 5th December 2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Edit

I have the Subversive set with Stanley's documentaries, got it the day it came out. I really enjoy it. It's not something that I feel the need to revisit every year but I'm glad I own it.

My latest purchase:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...oL._SY300_.jpg

keirarts 5th December 2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 381740)
Picked these up in cash converters and charity shops.

Attachment 125508 Attachment 125509

Attachment 125510 Attachment 125511

£ 5 for the lot.

Only ever seen 'House' which is not amazing but is entertaining if you're in the right mood.
Seen Shogun Assassin so thought id check out 'peril'
Used to see the video of 'Suburbia' as a kid in the rental store and always fancied seeing it.
'Absentia' has a quote from Kim Newman on the box saying he rates it so must be worth a look.:)

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on Absentia. I loved it and thought it was one of those rare things nowadays, a clever origional horror. Then I lent it to my mate who thought it was garbage....:confused:

Slippery Jack 5th December 2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 381746)
I'd be interested to hear your opinions on Absentia. I loved it and thought it was one of those rare things nowadays, a clever origional horror. Then I lent it to my mate who thought it was garbage....:confused:

I thought it started really well, then took a major nosedive in the second half, when it became a very different type of film . . .

nosferatu42 5th December 2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 381746)

Im gonna watch this soon then, sounds interesting. :) Pretty busy at the moment though so don't know when ill be able to fit it in. :(