All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151369Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2014, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I take off the plastic as soon as I get them I love to see if the disc has art and the smell of new
Same here, but perhaps even the bigger reason for me is to check that all the contents are intact and nothing is damaged.

Also need to re-align those covers precisely, cos almost always they're more or less poking outside underneath the plastic.
Old 7th July 2014, 02:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeZius View Post
Same here, but perhaps even the bigger reason for me is to check that all the contents are intact and nothing is damaged.

Also need to re-align those covers precisely, cos almost always they're more or less poking outside underneath the plastic.
Yes good point, that's how I found out about the missing bonus disc for "House by the cemetery". Glad I immediately unpacked that one.
Old 7th July 2014, 03:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynel View Post
I've seen some awesome purchases here the last week, and wanted to ask you all something: Do you immediately take off the plastic wrap after purchase/arrival, or do you guys only remove it until the viewing? Just to keep it fresh.

I've seen some shelves (especially the nice gallery BAKA has) where all movies still seem to be wrapped. So I was just curious.
I have a pretty sizable backlog, so it's easiest to keep track of what I haven't watched if I keep the unwatched stuff sealed. I do often open them if it's something delicate to make sure everything is okay. As it stands though, I haven't properly organised my shelves in ages, and I have about 5 just dedicated to unwatched films, so I could open them. But if I do get around to slotting them all into the main collection it gets a bit confusing.

I often open the Arrow releases to check which postcard I got and then put the seal back on.
dynel likes this.
Old 7th July 2014, 03:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

An art knife is a dvd collectors best friend.
BAKA likes this.
Old 7th July 2014, 03:37 PM
Cult Addict

Got back from a weekend away to find these waiting
Old 7th July 2014, 03:52 PM
Cult Master

image.jpg

Few pick ups on the way home from work. The Lone Ranger was buy two get one free I have no idea what it's like but the rest to choose from were really bad.
Old 7th July 2014, 05:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I've seen some awesome purchases here the last week, and wanted to ask you all something: Do you immediately take off the plastic wrap after purchase/arrival, or do you guys only remove it until the viewing? Just to keep it fresh.

I've seen some shelves (especially the nice gallery BAKA has) where all movies still seem to be wrapped. So I was just curious.
Personally because i don't have the buy rate of a lot of these guys, i unwrap as soon as i get em, i like to savour the inlay and also check out the PQ and extra's. If it's new and has that freshly pressed smell then that's extra cool.
I'm a bit of a sucker for smells, whether it's newly pressed books,i often do the smell test.
It all stems from childhood, i remember the smell of new stickers and strangely school swimming bags, in the 70's-80's i remember plastic swimming bags that had a really distinctive smell.
Probably just me though.
Some of the people on here seem to put their film copys in protective wrappers, i understand but can't be arsed with all that stuff. as long as i can watch the film i'm not that bothered, i look after my discs, always put them back after a watch.
One of my mates get's all his discs mixed up, he'll watch something and while he watches put's the previous disc in the new case, and so on.When he tries to find something it's mixed up with everything else. I once spent a few hours going through all his discs and putting them in the right cases. Total nightmare, that kind of stuff i can live without.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th July 2014, 05:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

I've been known to remove the wrap just after I leave the shop, more than once I've gone on to further shops and have alarms go off cause the cashier didn't properly disable the magnetic strip inside, my R1 guy ALWAYS leaves the strip inside(almost all R1s I've bought have that damn metal strip still in place) and as others have said, checking all is well inside is half the fun
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th July 2014, 07:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just bought this a steal at £18.60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.1 KB, 2 views)
bdc, g053584398, Nemesis and 4 others like this.
Old 7th July 2014, 08:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I spent some of last week in Bristol and picked up a few odds and ends in HMV and FOPP:

Akira (Blu)
Shaun of the Dead (Blu)
Side Effects (Blu)
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Blu)
Raze (DVD)
Willow Creek (DVD)
13 Sins (DVD)
Dallas Buyers Club (Blu)
American Hustle (Blu)
Rise of the planet of the apes (Blu)

Thats probably my lot until I return from Fantasia

Like this? Share it using the links below!