Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

trebor8273 9th August 2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 413799)
Haven't seen Forever Knight since they first aired on Sky many moons ago. Even longer since I saw the first version of the pilot, Nick Knight, starring Rick Springfield.

Same here,but I remember I really enjoyed it when it aired. So for £5 each I thought I would see how they have aged. Watching the pilot now and has aged quite well(better that a lot of stuff around the same time). Can see the character must of been a great influence on angel, as there both very similar.

Buboven 9th August 2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 413746)
I have yet to see The Purge or its sequel, but just didn't connect with You're Next. The characters were unlikeable, to the extent where I couldn't care less whether any of them lived or died - in fact most of them I wanted to exit stage right as soon as possible - and the plot twist came as no surprise, or perhaps I'd just given up caring by then anyway... I quite liked the gimmicky animal masks but that was about it. :D

I haven't seen too many of the horror offerings from 2013 (I'd rather curl up with some '70s/'80s schlock or a '60s gothic curio from my ridiculously large watch list where horror is concerned, than invest my time in some of these modern conveyor belt monstrosities), but I did prefer You're Next to the terrible and yawn inspiring The Conjuring and Mama, plus the annoyingly pointless Evil Dead remake/reboot/rehash. Oh, and Ghost Shark too, but that can be forgiven slightly in as much as it wasn't meant to be good in the first place and fully understands this.

However, looking at my 2013 ratings, I did enjoy Frankenstein's Army, Home Sweet Home, and VHS 2 more than You're Next... take from this what you will!

I agree with everything you said in this post. I really didn't why Frankensteins Army had to be found footage though. i think i would have liked it a bit better if it wasn't.

bdc 9th August 2014 08:32 PM

Been buying loads,all kinds of stuff which I won't bore you with,all mostly (very) cheap and from sales. Mostly things I need or will need in the near future but also some fun stuff. ;)

Some examples of recent buys and arrivals:

Anvil on dvd like new: 0.75 cents

http://oi58.tinypic.com/28jhemf.jpg

New Pierre Cardin polo on sale: 5.40 Euro

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2liufzo.jpg

2 more new Cardin "logo polos" on sale: 7.80 Euro each

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2v2fn8i.jpg http://oi60.tinypic.com/hskrao.jpg

One For All universal remote: 25 cents complete with manual and batteries.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2db9cig.jpg

4 x Senseo cups new boxed including a pop art one: 12.5 cents each.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/11m7pmr.jpg

Etc,etc,etc! :loco:

keirarts 9th August 2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 413746)
I have yet to see The Purge or its sequel, but just didn't connect with You're Next. The characters were unlikeable, to the extent where I couldn't care less whether any of them lived or died - in fact most of them I wanted to exit stage right as soon as possible - and the plot twist came as no surprise, or perhaps I'd just given up caring by then anyway... I quite liked the gimmicky animal masks but that was about it. :D

I haven't seen too many of the horror offerings from 2013 (I'd rather curl up with some '70s/'80s schlock or a '60s gothic curio from my ridiculously large watch list where horror is concerned, than invest my time in some of these modern conveyor belt monstrosities), but I did prefer You're Next to the terrible and yawn inspiring The Conjuring and Mama, plus the annoyingly pointless Evil Dead remake/reboot/rehash. Oh, and Ghost Shark too, but that can be forgiven slightly in as much as it wasn't meant to be good in the first place and fully understands this.

However, looking at my 2013 ratings, I did enjoy Frankenstein's Army, Home Sweet Home, and VHS 2 more than You're Next... take from this what you will!

In fairness, the characters were all ment to be unlikeable. But as always with film no one is going to like every film released. Just like my dislike of jean pierre jounet , I like modern output as much as 60s 70s stuff.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 413813)
In fairness, the characters were all ment to be unlikeable. But as always with film no one is going to like every film released. Just like my dislike of jean pierre jounet , I like modern output as much as 60s 70s stuff.

If this is indeed the case, then the film was flawed from the start. If I don't like any of the characters then why should I care what happens to them? I do enjoy lots of modern offerings too, just not these bland soulless rehashes that seem to be the norm nowadays. A generalisation certainly, but if given the choice to delve through some '70s weirdness that I hadn't seen before or watch the latest horror sensation, then the former would would win out - my cinematic heart belongs to the '60s/'70s/'80s, but of course there are gems and awfulness in every decade.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 413814)
If this is indeed the case, then the film was flawed from the start. If I don't like any of the characters then why should I care what happens to them? I do enjoy lots of modern offerings too, just not these bland soulless rehashes that seem to be the norm nowadays. A generalisation certainly, but if given the choice to delve through some '70s weirdness that I hadn't seen before or watch the latest horror sensation, then the former would would win out - my cinematic heart belongs to the '60s/'70s/'80s, but of course there are gems and awfulness in every decade.

This is always a big issue with me, especially in modern blockbusters.

Make Them Die Slowly 9th August 2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 413815)
This is always a big issue with me, especially in modern blockbusters.

There is too much characterisation in modern blockbusters for me, I like them dumb and full of CGI. This is a recent thing and I have no idea why. My ideal film presently would be THE RAID but featuring Transformers instead of people!

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 413818)
There is too much characterisation in modern blockbusters for me, I like them dumb and full of CGI. This is a recent thing and I have no idea why. My ideal film presently would be THE RAID but featuring Transformers instead of people!

The stuff of nightmares if you ask me.

keirarts 10th August 2014 06:35 AM

I don't really see modern films being any better or worse than older films.
I think there is a tendency with people to see what came before as in some way superior to whats being released now but i've never bought in to that notion at all.

Lets take films like Sinister, the conjuring and insidious. What I like to call 'ghost train movies' essentially designed to offer jumps and scares to the audience. I re-watched Legend of hell house and the haunting recently and honestly its the same tricks used in all of them, perhaps modern film makers have more to work with but essentially there is little difference.

I think if a film has characters that inspire no passion either way then that is a flaw. I do reject the notion that films should have characters you like. I really like Henry portrait of a serial killer. Frankly non of the characters in that film are remotely sympathetic in any way. Closest is perhaps Otis's sister but even shes not really likable.

Same with You're next. The family is full of self interested creeps and it takes the final girl till near the end to realise this, the killers despite looking fearsome turn out to be idiots and the whole scheme is a poorly realised get rich quick scheme concocted on behalf of the bratty spoiled kids. For me this actually made a nice chage from a lot of slashers that try reeeeeaaal hard to offer up likeable characters and often fail to deliver.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th August 2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 413818)

I wouldn't say it's a recent thing at all; there is loads of characterisation and character development in the likes of The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure. Also, films like the Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Jaws would easily be classified as blockbusters.

I agree with Demdike that The Raid with Transformers instead of people sounds like cinematic hell!