Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree151219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2014, 03:35 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Behaviour has nothing to do with how people look (at least in terms of appearance) – I meant in terms of their appreciation of the film and respect for the cinema and other audience members. There is a huge difference between a cinema, whether it's at a film festival or in a multiplex and a drive in, where you are in your own car, or an 'exploitation dive', where smoking, drinking alcohol and even just spending all day there to keep dry and warm was the norm.

Everyone has a different knowledge base and I certainly wouldn't advocate a quiz, test or anything like that to determine whether someone is a horror fan or not, merely that they know something about the film they are watching and watch it in a manner which would not irritate other people in the cinema.
So basically being a horror fan is being polite.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th August 2014, 03:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
So basically being a horror fan is being polite.
More or less – yes! As Mark Kermode explained in the video I posted earlier, it seems horror film fans are the best behaved and most tolerant of films in different languages, from different eras and generally most respectful of the unwritten rules of being in a cinema.
Old 10th August 2014, 03:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

Everyone has a different knowledge base and I certainly wouldn't advocate a quiz, test or anything like that to determine whether someone is a horror fan or not,
Oooh i would. Then i could really show myself up just as i do in the Guess The Movie thread.
Old 10th August 2014, 03:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oooh i would. Then i could really show myself up just as i do in the Guess The Movie thread.
We'd ask the odd question about Shannon Tweed films to bump up your score.
Old 10th August 2014, 04:34 PM
Cult Addict

I still enjoy the modern ghost films in spite of recognising their weaknesses> I also like Val lewton and Silent horror and a bunch of other stuff. Which leads me back to the origional point I made that while 'different' modern horror can't be all bad if lots of people are getting enjoyment from it.
Old 10th August 2014, 04:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
People like Nos and Bizarre_Eye don't buy anything new (or at least it appears so on here) just for the hell of it, so someone has to fund these releases.
No, I rarely blind buy now and tend to only buy things that I know I like and will get plenty of re-watch value from - however I also do like to support certain niche studios and occasionally buy certain releases that whilst I still enjoy may not be something I'll re-watch a great deal. I just can't justify (both economically and spatially) buying every film that I want to check out. However, if there's something new that I've seen and I like I will probably buy it. I'm also a member of Lovefilm and associated sites and also watch a fair amount of stuff on YT and the like, which cater for my curiosity but at minimal/no expense. There are plenty of films I want to watch, but unfortunately my free time is only finite and my moods dictate that I generally only fancy watching a certain film at a certain time.

Remember, I'm a little younger than you old farts too, so I maybe have a little more catching up to do where historical cinema is concerned!

Quote:
I can't tell who's a horror fan personally. They come in all shapes and sizes and all colours and creeds and all with differing areas of knowledge.
Nor can I, and it's something that would be impossible in my opinion to quantify. What one individual would classify a 'fan' another may not. I really dislike pigeon-holing people anyway.
Old 10th August 2014, 09:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I think a director can establish a style of film making that is identifiable after only a couple of films. Hell, oculus is clearly from the maker of absentia in its approach, tarantino, pt anderson ect all established a 'style' pretty quickly. I felt watching guardians that it retained a similar attitude, sense of humour and world view to both super and slither as well as tromeo and juliette.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think there are very few directors who develop an obvious style within there first 2 or 3 features. Of the examples you give Tarantino is the only one I would accept.

I would never have guessed that Gunn directed GotG if I had gone into the film without knowing. The same for Oculus and Absentia (which are both films I really like). I'm not sure that many people would have recognised Magnolia as coming from the same director as Hard Eight and Boogie Nights.

Its very easy with hindsight and a sufficient body of work to recognise the themes and styles of a directors work in their first couple of films but to claim to be able to dos so on the basis of 2 or 3 movies? Your obviously far smarter and culturally sensitive than me.

Especially for Gunn who has written 6 films (I think off the top of my head - Tromeo and Juliette, Scooby Doo, Super,Evil Dead, Sliver and GotG) of which only Sliver and Super are original works (Tromeo and Juliette is obviously constrained by the Troma house style, Evil Dead is a remake and Scooby Doo and GotG are all based on the works of others) and directed 3.
Old 10th August 2014, 11:09 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think there are very few directors who develop an obvious style within there first 2 or 3 features. Of the examples you give Tarantino is the only one I would accept.
I'm not sure that many people would have recognised Magnolia as coming from the same director as Hard Eight and Boogie Nights.

Its very easy with hindsight and a sufficient body of work to recognise the themes and styles of a directors work in their first couple of films but to claim to be able to dos so on the basis of 2 or 3 movies? Your obviously far smarter and culturally sensitive than me.
I'm sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to. I do disagree however. Magnolia was very similar in style to Boogie nights. Not so much Hard eight but then that was cut to buggery but some of the style was still there. Certainly styles can evolve over time. There will be blood and The master are all from a more mature director but still bare the hallmarks of his work.

Guardians of the Galaxy is full of Gunns humor both in screenplay and visual jokes, he even threw the slugs from slither in one background scene as an in-joke. Yondu's Michael rooker) space pirates were re-written from the source material to fit gunns sensibilities and a lot of his friends and family are in the film. Gunns brand of humour appeared in all his scripts to some extent. Certainly it was a little watered down for scooby doo but Dawn of the Dead had a lot of his sense of humor in it. This carries through to guardians which is probably the best of the summer blockbusters this year.
Old 11th August 2014, 10:32 AM
Cult Master

Nipped home from work for a minute and this arrived I'm happy for the rest of the day now give it a watch after work. Thanks again Kyle

image.jpg
Old 11th August 2014, 12:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Like this? Share it using the links below!