Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Crimson Blade 21st September 2014 02:07 PM

finally managed to upgrade one of my all time favourite Dracula films at a reasonable price.
http://i62.tinypic.com/15g2k4y.jpg

platostotal 21st September 2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shel (Post 418431)
I love SAC, one of my favorite things ever:)

What kind of charity shops sell new releases and rarities? ?

You'd be amazed what can turn up on charity shop shelves, almost all in my local area have dvd/Blu sections, was thinking of a trip to posh areas of London to see what charity shops have been donated to them, one of my best grabs was an as new Maltese Falcon Blu steelbook for £5. And it supports good causes too, so charity shops are a regular trawl for me.

shel 21st September 2014 06:53 PM

All the charity shops in my area never have anything other than kids dvds and the closest thing to cult movies they get is Texas or Grudge remakes. Three CEX stores local to me never get any Arrow stuff in with either. Uncultured north east!

trebor8273 21st September 2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 418562)
You'd be amazed what can turn up on charity shop shelves, almost all in my local area have dvd/Blu sections, was thinking of a trip to posh areas of London to see what charity shops have been donated to them, one of my best grabs was an as new Maltese Falcon Blu steelbook for £5. And it supports good causes too, so charity shops are a regular trawl for me.

To us the a lot of the stuff I pick up is gold but to joe public it's crap and they really don't know the value of what they getting rid of they watch it and for most it's not for them. Hey most of my mates think I have awful tastes in movies, but hey what do they know these are people who like soap operas and crap like Mrs browns boys(which really should be a reason to disown them as friends)

trebor8273 21st September 2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shel (Post 418566)
All the charity shops in my area never have anything other than kids dvds and the closest thing to cult movies they get is Texas or Grudge remakes. Three CEX stores local to me never get any Arrow stuff in with either. Uncultured north east!

I'm from the north east and always get plenty of good stuff picked up a lot of good stuff from the newcastle cex branches. Mind knowing to a lot of the charity shops etc and they keep stuff behind they know I will like they even call me the horror guy!

Edit

Saying that it's probably my fault you can't find anything as I've bought it all!

PaulD 21st September 2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 418568)
I'm from the north east and always get plenty of good stuff picked up a lot of good stuff from the newcastle cex branches. Mind knowing to a lot of the charity shops etc and they keep stuff behind they know I will like they even call me the horror guy!

Edit

Saying that it's probably my fault you can't find anything as I've bought it all!

Bloody hell, I'm from the North East too - had no idea all your fantastic bargains were found in my area!!! Which car boots do you go to?

trebor8273 21st September 2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 418572)
Bloody hell, I'm from the North East too - had no idea all your fantastic bargains were found in my area!!! Which car boots do you go to?

Most of the main ones but I find you find more DVDs etc at the lesser knowing ones.

J Harker 21st September 2014 10:54 PM

I've still yet to find a single dvd worth buying in any of the charity shops around me and I've only ever seen one or two blu rays in them. I've pretty much given up looking. Sometimes i pick a few bits up in CEX but rarely do i find anything obscure in there either.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 418584)
I've still yet to find a single dvd worth buying in any of the charity shops around me and I've only ever seen one or two blu rays in them. I've pretty much given up looking. Sometimes i pick a few bits up in CEX but rarely do i find anything obscure in there either.

I've picked a few things up in my local CEX, but all i've picked up in charity shops has been The Fisher King and the Porkies double bill. :(

Oh yeah and season three of Footballers Wives a couple of years ago. :lol:

Crimson Blade 22nd September 2014 12:47 AM

CEX in Liverpool in pretty good. Over the last year or so i've picked up great Blu's of The Wicker Man, Devil Rides Out, The Reptile, Plague of The Zombies, Mummy's Shroud, and most recently, Dracula Prince of Darkness.
They also had 10 copies of Dressed To Kill last week.
But you can go months when there's nothing at all. It's just luck.