Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th September 2014 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Latest arrivals:

Nordicdusk 30th September 2014 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 145482

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 419485)

Any reason for picking up Varsity Blood and Rites of Spring Baka?

I have Rites but not watched it yet, by all accounts its a bit different from the norm with it's two separate plot strands.

Varsity Blood is from the director of Bloody Homecoming, again a film i own but not watched, supposedly very old school. Like you i was saving it, except this time for my Christmas marathon.

Look forward to your verdict on both of them.:)

BAKA 30th September 2014 05:04 PM

I've never seen either, but Rites Of Spring seemed to get a lot of praise from various people I follow and at places I visit. There was a really nice feature on it in The DarkSide magazine. It helped that it was around the £5 mark. :o

Varsity Blood was from the writer of Bloody Homecoming, Jake Helgren used to post at a, sadly now defunct, slasher forum I posted at, and I find myself compelled to check it out. I hate that it's become a common criticism of modern slashers that just because they don't do anything new, means they're somehow not worthwhile. I love the subgenre, faults and all, the formula works, and I see no issue with a filmmaker choosing to adhere to it, and Jake seems to feel the same way, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm hit and miss on a lot of modern horror films, often I get more from those films that are respectful of the foundations that have been laid before them, and from what I've read, these seem to be.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2014 07:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone recommend the Martin Sheen film The Believers or the Jim Belushi film Retro-Active?

trebor8273 30th September 2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 419528)
Can anyone recommend the Martin Sheen film The Believers or the Jim Belushi film Retro-Active?

Not seen retro active but enjoyed the believers, which might not be the greatest film but is enjoyable with some good acting. While not scary it has a disturbing atmosphere. If you like movies about voodoo it's worth a shot but don't expect some as great as the serpent and the rainbow.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 419531)
Not seen retro active but enjoyed the believers, which might not be the greatest film but is enjoyable with some good acting. While not scary it has a disturbing atmosphere. If you like movies about voodoo it's worth a shot but don't expect some as great as the serpent and the rainbow.

Thanks Trebor. :)

It's part of Amazon's 4 for £10 dvd's.

trebor8273 1st October 2014 12:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
today's deliveries

Nordicdusk 1st October 2014 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 145523

Anyone seen these €1 each so not a big loss.

demonknight 1st October 2014 02:39 PM

Dawn of the Dead Blu from Umbrella :)