Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Vipp 6th December 2014 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Zane from the forum linked to this Blu on sale for £7 so i picked it up. I like the Vipco release and lets be honest that release looks like poo so this will be like a first viewing. :)

Rik 6th December 2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 427810)
Zane from the forum linked to this Blu on sale for £7 so i picked it up. I like the Vipco release and lets be honest that release looks like poo so this will be like a first viewing. :)

It's a great release, not even slightly annoyed it ended up less than half the price I paid for it nearly a year ago.... :)

Vipp 6th December 2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 427813)
It's a great release, not even slightly annoyed it ended up less than half the price I paid for it nearly a year ago.... :)

I know what you mean Rik, to be honest i haven't seen it drop in price at all so when Black Friday came around and Zane pointed this out it was a no brainer for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 427808)
Rights issues/lack of decent materials will no doubt be the reason, as is the case with a lot of these obscure cult titles sadly. They're not big money-makers either what with so few people having heard of them, let alone liking them enough to purchase a copy.

Things like this never bothered the vhs companies.

I know it's a different world and not for the better nowadays, when it comes to what gets released. :(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 427825)

I know it's a different world and not for the better nowadays, when it comes to what gets released. :(

All too true unfortunately.

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 427825)

Couldn't agree with you more! As much as I like various labels, (MOC, Arrow
and Shameless) they always seem to be re-releasing earlier releases. 'Metropolis' is the latest one from Eureka, nice steelbook but I'm not falling for it! Shamless did it with the Deodato pictures, putting them in a single collection with some new artwork. I'd rather not double dip unless its a upgrade to Blu and a massive improvement I'm not going to triple dip to the same format! Thousands of lesser known movies out there just waiting to see the light of day! Just seen Eyes of Fire. Although not great I did enjoy it and would certainly buy an upgraded version.

JoshuaKaitlyn 7th December 2014 10:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Car boot this morning (I don't usually do these...too early/cold). More VHS goodies

Attachment 151347Attachment 151348Attachment 151349Attachment 151350Attachment 151351

The Dracula set, although a little beat up on the back is complete with novel but is missing the pin :sad:
The Jurassic box I originally had but gave it away to my nephew when I bought the DVD.

VeZius 7th December 2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 427889)
Car boot this morning (I don't usually do these...too early/cold). More VHS goodies

Attachment 151347Attachment 151348Attachment 151349Attachment 151350Attachment 151351

The Dracula set, although a little beat up on the back is complete with novel but is missing the pin :sad:
The Jurassic box I originally had but gave it away to my nephew when I bought the DVD.

That Jurassic Park case looks amazing. :eek:

keirarts 7th December 2014 11:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 427834)
Couldn't agree with you more! As much as I like various labels, (MOC, Arrow
and Shameless) they always seem to be re-releasing earlier releases. 'Metropolis' is the latest one from Eureka, nice steelbook but I'm not falling for it! Shamless did it with the Deodato pictures, putting them in a single collection with some new artwork. I'd rather not double dip unless its a upgrade to Blu and a massive improvement I'm not going to triple dip to the same format! Thousands of lesser known movies out there just waiting to see the light of day! Just seen Eyes of Fire. Although not great I did enjoy it and would certainly buy an upgraded version.

Trouble is, most non-cult fans stream their films, sales of hard copies are plummeting. Perhaps films like this might appear on some streaming site but for how long? Not enough hits to warrant it being there and it'll vanish. Perhaps i'm a luddite (in fact i most definitely am. ) but I suspect streaming may eventually drive the final nail into the coffin of retro releases.
Sadly given the expense of releasing stuff, a dwindling market for sales so a lot of companies are playing it safe and going for major releases.
Scorpion have taken some chances and the stuff they have taken chances on seems to sell poorly. I would mention code red but lets be honest, bill olsen seems to prefer poor sales so he can have a moan.

Still.....

My desire to remain poor shows no signs of stopping, went on marketplace this morning....

Exorcist box set is currently £20 fr4om supermart USA, just hope they ship it as the swine cancelled TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT twice on me, The Jimmy Wang Yu collection is a little under £13 at time of typing.

Attachment 151359 Attachment 151360

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 427895)
Perhaps i'm a luddite (in fact i most definitely am. ) but I suspect streaming may eventually drive the final nail into the coffin of retro releases.

I don't think it will. As long as there is a market for physical media (and I believe there will be) then it will survive in one form or another. It may go the same way as vinyl with a few key companies self-releasing in limited quantities - it's already starting to go that way what with companies like Code Red, Scorpion, and Twilight Time adhering to this model where niche cult titles are concerned.