Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151383Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2014, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Zane from the forum linked to this Blu on sale for £7 so i picked it up. I like the Vipco release and lets be honest that release looks like poo so this will be like a first viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5886.jpg (34.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th December 2014, 08:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Zane from the forum linked to this Blu on sale for £7 so i picked it up. I like the Vipco release and lets be honest that release looks like poo so this will be like a first viewing.

It's a great release, not even slightly annoyed it ended up less than half the price I paid for it nearly a year ago....
plasterface, Vipp and J Harker like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th December 2014, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
It's a great release, not even slightly annoyed it ended up less than half the price I paid for it nearly a year ago....
I know what you mean Rik, to be honest i haven't seen it drop in price at all so when Black Friday came around and Zane pointed this out it was a no brainer for me.
Rik and J Harker like this.
Old 6th December 2014, 09:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Rights issues/lack of decent materials will no doubt be the reason, as is the case with a lot of these obscure cult titles sadly. They're not big money-makers either what with so few people having heard of them, let alone liking them enough to purchase a copy.
Things like this never bothered the vhs companies.

I know it's a different world and not for the better nowadays, when it comes to what gets released.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.
Old 6th December 2014, 09:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I know it's a different world and not for the better nowadays, when it comes to what gets released.
All too true unfortunately.
Old 6th December 2014, 09:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Couldn't agree with you more! As much as I like various labels, (MOC, Arrow
and Shameless) they always seem to be re-releasing earlier releases. 'Metropolis' is the latest one from Eureka, nice steelbook but I'm not falling for it! Shamless did it with the Deodato pictures, putting them in a single collection with some new artwork. I'd rather not double dip unless its a upgrade to Blu and a massive improvement I'm not going to triple dip to the same format! Thousands of lesser known movies out there just waiting to see the light of day! Just seen Eyes of Fire. Although not great I did enjoy it and would certainly buy an upgraded version.
Old 7th December 2014, 09:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Car boot this morning (I don't usually do these...too early/cold). More VHS goodies

Dracula.jpgBroken.jpgExorcist.jpgInseminoid.jpgJurassic.jpg

The Dracula set, although a little beat up on the back is complete with novel but is missing the pin
The Jurassic box I originally had but gave it away to my nephew when I bought the DVD.
Old 7th December 2014, 10:15 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Car boot this morning (I don't usually do these...too early/cold). More VHS goodies

Attachment 151347Attachment 151348Attachment 151349Attachment 151350Attachment 151351

The Dracula set, although a little beat up on the back is complete with novel but is missing the pin
The Jurassic box I originally had but gave it away to my nephew when I bought the DVD.
That Jurassic Park case looks amazing.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.
Old 7th December 2014, 10:57 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Couldn't agree with you more! As much as I like various labels, (MOC, Arrow
and Shameless) they always seem to be re-releasing earlier releases. 'Metropolis' is the latest one from Eureka, nice steelbook but I'm not falling for it! Shamless did it with the Deodato pictures, putting them in a single collection with some new artwork. I'd rather not double dip unless its a upgrade to Blu and a massive improvement I'm not going to triple dip to the same format! Thousands of lesser known movies out there just waiting to see the light of day! Just seen Eyes of Fire. Although not great I did enjoy it and would certainly buy an upgraded version.
Trouble is, most non-cult fans stream their films, sales of hard copies are plummeting. Perhaps films like this might appear on some streaming site but for how long? Not enough hits to warrant it being there and it'll vanish. Perhaps i'm a luddite (in fact i most definitely am. ) but I suspect streaming may eventually drive the final nail into the coffin of retro releases.
Sadly given the expense of releasing stuff, a dwindling market for sales so a lot of companies are playing it safe and going for major releases.
Scorpion have taken some chances and the stuff they have taken chances on seems to sell poorly. I would mention code red but lets be honest, bill olsen seems to prefer poor sales so he can have a moan.

Still.....

My desire to remain poor shows no signs of stopping, went on marketplace this morning....

Exorcist box set is currently £20 fr4om supermart USA, just hope they ship it as the swine cancelled TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT twice on me, The Jimmy Wang Yu collection is a little under £13 at time of typing.

jimmy wang yu.jpg excorcist.jpg
Old 7th December 2014, 11:36 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Perhaps i'm a luddite (in fact i most definitely am. ) but I suspect streaming may eventually drive the final nail into the coffin of retro releases.
I don't think it will. As long as there is a market for physical media (and I believe there will be) then it will survive in one form or another. It may go the same way as vinyl with a few key companies self-releasing in limited quantities - it's already starting to go that way what with companies like Code Red, Scorpion, and Twilight Time adhering to this model where niche cult titles are concerned.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!