Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

plasterface 7th December 2014 11:45 AM

blu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 427810)
Zane from the forum linked to this Blu on sale for £7 so i picked it up. I like the Vipco release and lets be honest that release looks like poo so this will be like a first viewing. :)

nice little release , but why is there a trailer for zombie holocaust when another label is releasing it.

PaulD 7th December 2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 427899)
I don't think it will. As long as there is a market for physical media (and I believe there will be) then it will survive in one form or another. It may go the same way as vinyl with a few key companies self-releasing in limited quantities - it's already starting to go that way what with companies like Code Red, Scorpion, and Twilight Time adhering to this model where niche cult titles are concerned.

Definitely. The response to 88 Films crowdfunding campaign shows there's definitely a positive correlation between fans of physical media and cult fandom.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 11:54 AM

The increasing sales of vinyl are showing that people, and indeed younger people, want something to show for their monies spent.

Perhaps not thousands of lp's, discs etc like we have but something to keep and go back to.

keirarts 7th December 2014 11:58 AM

I hope i'm wrong, but I would point out that most of the enthusiastic fan response tends to be for well know titles such as Zombie holocaust. I wonder what sort of response eyes of fire would garner?

I've no doubt that at least the major 'nasties' and suchlike will continue to have some level of support but given the poor sales on scorpions back catalogue less well known titles may continue to be ignored.

My only suggestion to try and turn this situation around would be some kind of dedicated cult movie screening site that could in some way promote these kinds of films and give them some level of exposure. Otherwise I suspect some films may simply disappear.

Frankenhooker 7th December 2014 11:59 AM

No horror for me, but I picked up David Simon's Generation Kill in cex for £4. I loved The Wire and The Corner, hopefully this is as good.

I also popped in Poundland and they had Downfall in there, snapped that up as well as The Town and Doug Liman's Go.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 427905)
I hope i'm wrong, but I would point out that most of the enthusiastic fan response tends to be for well know titles such as Zombie holocaust. I wonder what sort of response eyes of fire would garner?

The thing is it doesn't have to have a bells and whistles blu-ray release :faint:

Just release a reasonable copy on dvd, put it on a linked four pack like Shout do for example. Even on demand like the Archive collections.

Network release tons of obscure British films as an example. All with lovely transfers. I bet some only sell 100 copies at most. Selling for £6.99, it's a price worth a blind buy. That may well be the answer, sell at a price that's worth a gamble.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th December 2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 427910)
The thing is it doesn't have to have a bells and whistles blu-ray release :faint:

Just release a reasonable copy on dvd, put it on a linked four pack like Shout do for example. Even on demand like the Archive collections.

Network release tons of obscure British films as an example. All with lovely transfers. I bet some only sell 100 copies at most. Selling for £6.99, it's a price worth a blind buy. That may well be the answer, sell at a price that's worth a gamble.

I would imagine the original camera negative for Eyes of Fire doesn't exist and, if there is material, a DVD release will satisfy demand – it's bound to be a massive improvement over VHS!

I'd dearly love William Friedkin's Rampage to be released on DVD in the UK or US (why it's only been released in Poland is a mystery) and would be stunned if the materials weren't available to make it possible even in a barebones release, although a special edition-type DVD with new interviews or commentary would be even better.

As you said, it's going to be much better than these films are available on DVD with no extras than not at all, so they shouldn't cost the earth to make or buy, whether online or in HMV, or both.

Nordicdusk 7th December 2014 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 151361

JoshuaKaitlyn 7th December 2014 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 427893)
That Jurassic Park case looks amazing. :eek:

The back of the case.
Attachment 151362
Hard black plastic complete with a booklet inside:)

VeZius 7th December 2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 427917)
The back of the case.
Attachment 151362
Hard black plastic complete with a booklet inside:)

That's lovely! Wish I could get it in my collection someday.