Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151368Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Ok so here are my January purchases as promised.

Edit: God damn thumbnails. Click for much better quality

photo 1.jpg

Savage Streets off ebay for a very good price (still not cheap though)

Caligula off Refused, top quality, service, and price. Thanks!

Red Scorpion and first printing Spirits of the Dead off Stephen. Same as above, both top blokes

Shivers using points received after the sale. Came about a week and a half before the bundles, shipped 4 days earlier as well

Arrow Bundles, as well as Blood Feast 2 and the Qatsi set from the sale. All very lovely.

On the right side, first is market/op shop purchases:
Best two Faith No More albums, Angel Dust and Album of the Year, first pressings with bonus discs. $4 each.
Lawnmower Man 2 VHS. 50c. Had to see if its worth the crap
Clockwork Orange for $1 and Battle Royale for $4
Trick or Treat Umbrella DVD sealed for $3. Heard good things.
2 Rage Against the Machine dvds and Killing Zoe. $2 each

Code Red package from Diabolik. Great shipping, nearly all great discs (Cheerleaders is iffy, but just because it's very "grindhouse")

88 Films sale package. Lovely discs.

Also have Toxie 3&4 and Thief on order, as well as contemplating the $65 VinSyn IndieGoGo pack.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Forgot the biggest purchase of all because it needed a separate photo!

photo 2.jpg

From a very lovely person on blu-ray.com

Got it for only 10 quid, so here's the story. I see a random post in the Withnail and I thread saying he was selling one if anyone wanted it cheap. I PM asking how cheap, not expecting a good price because it was well out of print by this stage and I'd given up on it. He says 10 pound, but its damaged and missing the slipcover. Being very sus, I ask for photos. From there he showed, and explained his personalised one got a dent in the corner, squishing the spine and wrecking the slip. He asked for a replacement, and Arrow sent a new book, but couldnt replace the slip. So he had a spare book, and thought he'd do something nice and give it to someone for cheap. Barely damaged in the photo, and it was even less in person when it arrived. Shipping was 22 pound, but it was worth it, an opportunity i'd never get again. Arrived perfectly packed in a box in a box with a lot of heavy duty bubble wrap in both. Great condition, never played discs, its great. And I don't even care about the slip because it looks so pretty like this.

So to the gent on blu-ray, I am forever in debt to you.

Old 22nd January 2015, 10:47 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I know what you mean, until I got a new job, I though collecting OOP titles would be impossible. I haven't started with Arrowdrome, and just started Academy.

The only OOP Video titles I have left are House By The Cemetery DVD, Two Evil Eyes DVD both of which are easily avaliable, and the Battle Royale blu ray slipcase and limited DVD.
Wow good luck with that, sounds like you're going for 100% of their stuff? I'm not going full completist myself for things like if I have the blu I'm not picking up the stand alone DVD release of the same title (my wishlist is long enough before spending cash on duplicates). I have the blue underground blu of Two Evil Eyes so haven't bothered with Arrow's DVD (I'd bite if they ever upgraded it). Quite a few Academy titles I have no interest in (but quite a few are high in my list like Network and Les Diabolique) so aren't going for a full of set of those either. Keen eye will notice I don't own any Argento titles either, not a great fan of his stuff (seen pretty much everything Arrow have out) so suspect all these factors makes my wishlist a lot shorter than others, yet still a pricey, long way to go.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Each to their own, but I'll never understand people buying everything released by a label, I'll only buy the titles I want and as is the case with Arrow lately, that ain't very many!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

For Shel, and because I'm endlessly proud of it. Wanted to post a photo for a while, but I've been waiting for the bundles to arrive.

photo (1).jpg

Sorry if the photo quality isn't great, but finally, 2 full Arrow shelves! Every slipcase dvd, every steelbook, missing only 1 boxset, and 1 blu ray slipcase. No real double dips yet, got to get them all first before that starts.

I started just getting what I wanted, but in the end I was enjoying near every single movie I bought, so I wanted to try them all. Next thing I know, I had so many I wanted to collect them all. It's not exactly a normal thing, but it's my hobby and I love it.

Old 22nd January 2015, 10:59 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Very impressive collections guys.

Makes me tempted to take some of mine... although I'm still double facing all my releases on the shelves (until I get some custom ones built in the year 20XX... ) so the pics wouldn't look nearly as good unfortunately.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:07 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Each to their own, but I'll never understand people buying everything released by a label, I'll only buy the titles I want and as is the case with Arrow lately, that ain't very many!
With Arrow for me it started with all the zombie related titles they put out in their early days, which eventually led to some blind buys and each time I'd like them so it led to even more blind buys and before you know it you've got a collection. Looking at my Arrow stuff there's really nothing I have of theirs I dislike and quite a few blind buys have entered my favourites list (The Car, Runaway Train, Black Sunday, Dressed to Kill, Dead End Drive In, Pin etc. etc.) Some of them I'd never even heard of before and often I think "why I am I only seeing this now!".

So for me it's not really an OCD-completist thing but more the equivalent of a safe recommendation from the dude at the video shop who happens to have very nearly the same taste as you. With Arrow you are safe knowing that your blind buy comes with bonus of great extras, booklets and [very usually with modern day Arrow] a bloody good encode.

Have yet buy something of theirs I havent enjoyed (again I dont like Argento so haven't bought any of their releases). There's stuff like TCM2 which I'm not a big fan of (I'd give it a two out of five) but I got the set for a tenner and it had Hooper's early movies that I did want and the extras & the book was well worth the ten quid.
keirarts, fuzzymctiger and VeZius like this.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I am a Mario Bava rather than Arrow Video completist myself, so get ur thinking.

I have these

Arrow Video Bay of Blood Blu
AWE Bay of Blood DVD
Kino Bay of Blood Blu
Kino/Scorpion Planet of the Vampires Blu
Arrow Video Baron Blood
Arrow Video Rabid Dogs
Arrow Video Black Sabbath
Arrow Video Black Sunday (Amaray and Steelbook)
Arrow Video The Girl Who Knew...
Odeon Entertainment Whip and The Body Blu

And when going to preorder the Blood and Black Lace Steel when I can. If they ever release Kill, Baby, Kill, Shock or Danger Diabolik I will be the first one to snap them up.

Also I have a Red Rabbit Lounge Bay of Blood Poster T-shirt, The Devil's Backbone book on Black Sunday and going to order The Haunted World of Mario Bava book.

Hell, when I can afford it, i would even like to get a Kill, Baby, Kill Poster to put up on my wall.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:37 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
For Shel, and because I'm endlessly proud of it. Wanted to post a photo for a while, but I've been waiting for the bundles to arrive.

Attachment 154572

Sorry if the photo quality isn't great, but finally, 2 full Arrow shelves! Every slipcase dvd, every steelbook, missing only 1 boxset, and 1 blu ray slipcase. No real double dips yet, got to get them all first before that starts.

I started just getting what I wanted, but in the end I was enjoying near every single movie I bought, so I wanted to try them all. Next thing I know, I had so many I wanted to collect them all. It's not exactly a normal thing, but it's my hobby and I love it.
Very nice. What's your house number and post code and what hours is your house empty. For my...err...records..
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
Very nice. What's your house number and post code and what hours is your house empty. For my...err...records..
Fraid you'd have to travel to another country, and my house is never empty Good try though
shel likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!