Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Graeme73 28th March 2015 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=Prince_Vajda;441754]German/Austrian Region B Blu-ray, totally uncut, English-friendly.

Does anyone use the German Amazon site regularly? I'm trying to order this for less than 10 euros (the UK site wants £14.99 + PP), but I can't translate and Google's translation service won't let me proceed with the purchase...

Graeme73 28th March 2015 02:22 PM

Discerning what to keep and what to sell on...

Just curious how other collectors decide what they want to keep...

Storage space is limited - and if you're only going to watch a film once or twice, is it really worth collecting? (not to mention the cost!)

For example, I've bought a couple of 88 Films title recently and thought they were 'OK', but they won't be my first choice for repeat viewing, so I'm umming and arring what to do with them.

What do others do? Do you have a yardstick to determine whether something makes the grade or not? Just curious...

trebor8273 28th March 2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme73 (Post 441894)

Storage space is limited - and if you're only going to watch a film once or twice, is it really worth collecting? (not to mention the cost!)

For example, I've bought a couple of 88 Films title recently and thought they were 'OK', but they won't be my first choice for repeat viewing, so I'm umming and arring what to do with them.

What do others do? Do you have a yardstick to determine whether something makes the grade or not? Just curious...

I had a huge collection so big it would take months too watch got rid of most. What I'm dong now is not buying blockbusters etc and only buying things I really want or can't get on streaming sites like netflix. So building my arrow collection back up but only get the ones I really want and steelbooks. With 88films if you aren't enjoying I would say don't bother, me will probably get most of there stuff coming out as lot have had no decent release and not on any streaming sites

plasterface 28th March 2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

bit of a similar quandry with 88 slasher films the hmv prices and general presentation of them appeal to the collector in me, bought slaughterhouse, mothers day ,hollywood chainsaw hookers and the bogeyman. Thought mothers day was ok at best, slaughterhouse dull , only bought hookers for Quigley work out, so Bogeyman only film so far i have really enjoyed. Cant bring myself to buy graduation day or scalps as they are both crap.

trebor8273 28th March 2015 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 441898)
bit of a similar quandry with 88 slasher films the hmv prices and general presentation of them appeal to the collector in me, bought slaughterhouse, mothers day ,hollywood chainsaw hookers and the bogeyman. Thought mothers day was ok at best, slaughterhouse dull , only bought hookers for Quigley work out, so Bogeyman only film so far i have really enjoyed. Cant bring myself to buy graduation day or scalps as they are both crap.

Feel the same about the slashers see them and want to collect because of price at HMV but watched chainsaw and wasn't too impressed and doubt I would watch it again, liked slaughterhouse more but doubt I would watch it again as well. So in two minds too sell the four I have and give up on the slasher collection and get a vita TV which been after and as it has I price drop the price I paid for those slashers could of nearly paid for it

plasterface 28th March 2015 03:52 PM

collector

Still there's a daft part of my brain that whispers get em all, does'nt matter if you like em it's a set.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th March 2015 04:44 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Arrivals over the last couple of weeks.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th March 2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

There are some DVDs or BDs I have which I've only seen once, but bought because either I enjoyed the film at the cinema or because it was a blind buy.

I don't have room to display many of my discs in the cases, so they are filed in drawers or binders, but I'm generally suckered into buying releases which are part of a series, such as the Slasher Classics, Redemption BDs and the Shameless spine builder. I know I'll be exactly the same with the 88 Films Italian collection. What can I say? It's an addiction!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th March 2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 441905)
Arrivals over the last couple of weeks.

The Women in Prison set is really good, even if I'm not sure about the 'Mr Skin Presents' banner at the top. I watched Paddington and The Imitation Game for the second time over the last two days and thoroughly enjoyed both again.

Graeme73 28th March 2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 441902)
Still there's a daft part of my brain that whispers get em all, does'nt matter if you like em it's a set.

That sentiment is consistent in both the previous replies - and with me too. I like the red cases, the numbering and the year on the spines. They look good on the shelf - but how often am I likely to watch them again? So far I've watched The Bogey Man (OK, but no classic), Slaughterhouse (ditto - but disappointed that the uncut version actually wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would be - goodness knows what the cut version was like), with Castle Freak, Mother's Day and Graduation Day to follow.

Frankly, there are far superior slashers that would be first in the queue to be watched again, so I'm guessing this is more about me collecting for the sake of it rather than actually wanting to own those films...