Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

dustdevil 19th April 2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 443586)
I completely agree – I have no idea why Elliot Silverstein agreed to do a commentary for The Car, because Calum Waddell tried his hardest to encourage the director to talk about the film, but he wasn't interested.

If making the film was a horrible experience or you don't like the film, why agree to talk about it? Surely some things are best left in the past, with water under the bridge, and there's no point in reopening old wounds or boring people for the sake of a few hundred dollars.

What a total waste of time and money that commentary was - either was not interested or couldn't remember anything - should have said no and given someone else a chance. :confused:

J Harker 19th April 2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 445513)
What? No masterpiece that is the fourth installment? (I jest of course!)

The trilogy is a blind buy for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445571)
The trilogy is a blind buy for me.

:shocked: You've not seen The Omen films?

Wow! I thought they were a staple of horror cinema that everyone had seen...and for the most part really liked.

Baron Mynd 19th April 2015 04:26 PM

Today's Carboot Haul

The Incredible Melting Man (DVD-R)
Fear Dot Com
DeathWatch
Pans Labyrinth (for my Del Toro filmography)
Evil Dead Uncut (Anchor Bay UK)
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Zombie Flesh Eaters 2
Zombie Flesh Eaters 3
Zombie Holocaust
Nightwatch
Cannibals
Scum
Bless The Child
Sanctum
The Dungeon (Vipco)
Young & Innocent/The Man Who Knew Too Much

I know a few of you advised me against the Vipco releases but they were 50p each so I figured why not pick them up for now!

EDIT: Sanctum/Fear Dot Com were from a charity table. I have no idea how good/bad they are!

J Harker 19th April 2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 445581)
:shocked: You've not seen The Omen films?

Wow! I thought they were a staple of horror cinema that everyone had seen...and for the most part really liked.

No not yet Dem. Its only relatively recently i first saw The Exorcist too.
I like the way to put it, 'staples of horror cinema' Dem. While we're on it what else would you consider to be 'staples of horror cinema'?? Or anyone else for that matter.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445621)
I like the way to put it, 'staples of horror cinema' Dem. While we're on it what else would you consider to be 'staples of horror cinema'?? Or anyone else for that matter.

I called them that possibly as an age thing. When i was growing up as a kid in the eighties films such as The Omen seemed to be on tv every other week and became part of my introduction to horror along with Hammer films and others such as The Fog.

The Exorcist not really, as that was never on tv and only came back into the UK film world relatively recently, see A Clockwork Orange as another example of what i mean.

J Harker 19th April 2015 07:00 PM

I was born in 78 so didn't really get into horror until the early 90's. Even then while i was aware of The Omen its not a film i remember being on tv much. My parents were funny about what i was allowed to record and watch as well so i guess its just another one that slipt under the radar. In recent years I've recorded it from tcm and film4 a number of times but wife has always deleted it before I've watched it. She was obsessed with not having enough storage on the sky box thingy.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445621)

I typed up a list given in a Empire Magazine supplement, which is a really good 'beginner's guide', and which stood me in good stead when I was a fledgeling genre fan.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/blo...r-viewing.html

J Harker 19th April 2015 08:08 PM

Which House of Wax and Pit and the Pendulum are being referred to Nos?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445641)
Which House of Wax and Pit and the Pendulum are being referred to Nos?

House of Wax (1953)
Pit and the Pendulum (1961)