Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th April 2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 446702)
It's the only one out of the four I haven't seen, but I loved Paranorman and Coraline, as does my daughter, looking forward to watching it with her.

Aside from the aesthetics and being a great family film, it doesn't really have anything in common with them.

Oh, maybe the ideal of a child being on their own with no one but 'outsiders' to understand them.

plasterface 26th April 2015 08:39 PM

recent purchases

the samurai a strange german film that reminded me of the hitcher. started reading more old weird/horror fiction lately not just the usual Poe and Lovecraft, though i love em both. Recently read the king in yellow (true detective lead me there) the great god pan and today got the beetle a mystery which i've been after for a while. It's suprising how disturbing the old stuff can get.

Make Them Die Slowly 26th April 2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 446718)
the samurai a strange german film that reminded me of the hitcher. started reading more old weird/horror fiction lately not just the usual Poe and Lovecraft, though i love em both. Recently read the king in yellow (true detective lead me there) the great god pan and today got the beetle a mystery which i've been after for a while. It's suprising how disturbing the old stuff can get.

Have you read any Clark Ashton Smith? Worth a look.

plasterface 26th April 2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 446720)
Have you read any Clark Ashton Smith? Worth a look.

no but will seek his stuff out, i wanna track down pigeons from hell and house on the borderland as only read the graphic novel adaptations

Make Them Die Slowly 26th April 2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 446722)
no but will seek his stuff out, i wanna track down pigeons from hell and house on the borderland as only read the graphic novel adaptations

Both great reads. "Pigeons" normally turns up in most of the non Conan, Howard collections. I've not read House in years but it certainly puts the weird into weird fiction.

plasterface 26th April 2015 09:56 PM

horror

I want some Shirley Jackson but the slim volumes were pricey, is M.R James any good?????

Make Them Die Slowly 26th April 2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 446732)
I want some Shirley Jackson but the slim volumes were pricey, is M.R James any good?????

I've only read a couple of stories which I enjoyed. Dem might be better qualified to answer as I know he loves the BBC adaptations.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th April 2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 446758)
I've only read a couple of stories which I enjoyed. Dem might be better qualified to answer as I know he loves the BBC adaptations.

Yeah. The problem is i watch the Adaptations and the Christopher Lee Ghost Stories for Christmas and the Robert Powell series each and every year that i don't actually read any myself anymore. :lol:

I prefer him to Poe. But that's just me.

Nordicdusk 27th April 2015 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 162401

Found this in Poundland for €2 I have never seen it but worth a shot at that price.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th April 2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 446794)

Found this in Poundland for €2 I have never seen it but worth a shot at that price.

Am i missing something here. :lol:

Shouldn't it be known as 2Euroland?