Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th June 2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 453963)
Attachment 166253

£4.00 in CEX. Had been eyeing the Criterion release however it appears this release is fairly loaded so have opted to save my cash. Looking at home I suspect all I need now is the directors cut of Nymphomaniac and I'll have all Von Trier's films.

I have a love/hate relationship with Lars Von Trier's films – I think I've said this before – as I detest the 'Golden Heart' Trilogy (Breaking the Waves, The Idiots and Dancer in the Dark), but really liked the 'Depression' Trilogy (Antichrist, Melancholia and Nymphomaniac), and found the Land of Opportunity films (Dogville, Manderlay) to be bold and fascinating.

If nothing else, he is a gifted and fascinating filmmaker.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2015 10:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This week's other new arrivals.

keirarts 21st June 2015 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 453969)
I have a love/hate relationship with Lars Von Trier's films – I think I've said this before – as I detest the 'Golden Heart' Trilogy (Breaking the Waves, The Idiots and Dancer in the Dark), but really liked the 'Depression' Trilogy (Antichrist, Melancholia and Nymphomaniac), and found the Land of Opportunity films (Dogville, Manderlay) to be bold and fascinating.

If nothing else, he is a gifted and fascinating filmmaker.

I know Mark Kermode has real issues with Breaking the Waves, and to be fair I see his point. I tend to disagree with a lot of the criticism levelled at The Idiots however.

Frankenhooker 21st June 2015 08:15 AM

I remember catching Breaking The Waves on Channel 4 years ago and the film actually making me angry, I was still thinking about the film days later. Von Trier always provokes a response, it's why he's so important in my opinion, there is no indifference, his films always make you feel something.

I agree with Nos, regarding Von Trier's 'Depression' trilogy, a fantastic run of films.

Graeme73 21st June 2015 11:50 AM

Father's Day...

2 Attachment(s)
Chuffed in receiving this from the kids...

fuzzymctiger 21st June 2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme73 (Post 453994)
Chuffed in receiving this from the kids...

I picked up the Eureka blu ray steelbook at the market a while back for about $8, and absolutely loved Shogun Assassin. Just wished I picked up both the blu ray box sets before they went OOP.

Enjoy, Shogun Assassin alone is a lot of fun, can only imagine what the rest are like :)

Rik 21st June 2015 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This arrived yesterday, can't wait to check it out!

Attachment 166265

Attachment 166266

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st June 2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 453979)
This week's other new arrivals.

The Woman Eater looks interesting... :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st June 2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 454006)
The Woman Eater looks interesting... :nod:

I'm just composing a review as we speak. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st June 2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 454007)
I'm just composing a review as we speak. :nod:

:thumb: