Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

antmumford 9th January 2011 09:42 AM

I picked up some Studio Ghibli DVD's to try and get the collection nearer completion:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Cat Returns
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howls Moving Castle
My Neighbour Totoro
Tales from Earthsea


Can't wait to get stuck into these, haven't seen any of them.
I also picked up Four Lions in that lovely "book" case for only 6 in HMV. Bargain!

BioZombie 9th January 2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford
I picked up some Studio Ghibli DVD's to try and get the collection nearer completion

My GF suggested we watch Graveyard of the Fireflies last night. It's a Studio Ghibli film about a teenage boy and his little sister in World War II Japan. Obviously a really great film, but I dont think I've ever been quite so upset by anything. It really sticks with you for a long time after watching.

antmumford 9th January 2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 120829)
My GF suggested we watch Graveyard of the Fireflies last night. It's a Studio Ghibli film about a teenage boy and his little sister in World War II Japan. Obviously a really great film, but I dont think I've ever been quite so upset by anything. It really sticks with you for a long time after watching.

Yeah I've got that one too, in fact it was the first one I bought. Loved it, and to be honest there was definitely a tear in my eye at the end :(

oaxaca 9th January 2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 120829)
My GF suggested we watch Graveyard of the Fireflies last night. It's a Studio Ghibli film about a teenage boy and his little sister in World War II Japan. Obviously a really great film, but I dont think I've ever been quite so upset by anything. It really sticks with you for a long time after watching.

Good buys Ant; Ghibli films are incredible. I thought Grave of the Fireflies was a very sad film, beautifully made but quite a brutal depiction of war! Its amazing that anime has the power to stir such feelings. I think it hits home more than many other war films.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th January 2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 120829)
My GF suggested we watch Graveyard of the Fireflies last night. It's a Studio Ghibli film about a teenage boy and his little sister in World War II Japan. Obviously a really great film, but I dont think I've ever been quite so upset by anything. It really sticks with you for a long time after watching.

Graveyard of the Fireflies is one of the finest animated films I have ever seen and that includes everything by Pixar, Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki. It is such a clever and deep film that does not oversimplify things or go for a 'happy' entering just for the sake of it, telling the story of children in war-torn Japan as it probably was. I really must dig out and watch it again soon.

I also want to buy Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind and every other Studio Ghibli film that is released on Blu-ray as I don't have all of them and would like a complete collection.

Gojirosan 9th January 2011 11:04 AM

I cannot stand anime for the most part and I especially dislike the Ghibli stuff*...but Grave Of The Fireflies is an exceptional film. So powerful.



*It's the art style. I find it repulsive and ugly. So much so that - to my shame and regret, I admit - it means I cannot connect with the stories and characters, no matter how well crafted these may be. I especially dislike the emotionless faces with big eyes and few other features *shudder*...yet I loved Marine Boy when I was very little! *sigh* This makes Grave Of The Fireflies even more exceptional in my book...

Argentofan 9th January 2011 01:40 PM

Wanted
Bad Inclination
Delirium (Bava)
Daylight
Frozen

antmumford 9th January 2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 120847)
Graveyard of the Fireflies is one of the finest animated films I have ever seen and that includes everything by Pixar, Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki. It is such a clever and deep film that does not oversimplify things or go for a 'happy' entering just for the sake of it, telling the story of children in war-torn Japan as it probably was. I really must dig out and watch it again soon.

I also want to buy Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind and every other Studio Ghibli film that is released on Blu-ray as I don't have all of them and would like a complete collection.

I just went to town and bought a few more of them, only 4 more to get to complete the collection:

Whisper of the Heart
Ocean Waves
Only Yesterday
Princess Mononoke


I also picked up Black books Series 1,2 and 3 for only 10.

I'd like to get all the Blu-rays too Nosferatu, They've only released a couple though so far haven't they? Ponyo and Nausicaa. Spirited Away is in the pipeline.

oaxaca 9th January 2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 120847)
Graveyard of the Fireflies is one of the finest animated films I have ever seen and that includes everything by Pixar, Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki. It is such a clever and deep film that does not oversimplify things or go for a 'happy' entering just for the sake of it, telling the story of children in war-torn Japan as it probably was. I really must dig out and watch it again soon.

I also want to buy Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind and every other Studio Ghibli film that is released on Blu-ray as I don't have all of them and would like a complete collection.

Ponyo and Nausicaa are SPECTACULAR on blu ray! Crystal clear and extremely vibrant looking!

thundercrack 9th January 2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 120899)
I just went to town and bought a few more of them, only 4 more to get to complete the collection:

Whisper of the Heart
Ocean Waves
Only Yesterday
Princess Mononoke


I also picked up Black books Series 1,2 and 3 for only 10.

I'd like to get all the Blu-rays too Nosferatu, They've only released a couple though so far haven't they? Ponyo and Nausicaa. Spirited Away is in the pipeline.

You can sign up to be notified by email for Princess Mononoke Blu-ray.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.