Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

thundercrack 9th January 2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 120828)
I picked up some Studio Ghibli DVD's to try and get the collection nearer completion:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Cat Returns
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howls Moving Castle
My Neighbour Totoro
Tales from Earthsea

Can't wait to get stuck into these, haven't seen any of them.
I also picked up Four Lions in that lovely "book" case for only £6 in HMV. Bargain!

Have you remembered to get the 2 disc editions of Spirited Away, Tales from Earthsea, Grave of the Fireflies,Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo but remember to watch them in Japanese with English subtitles as the dubbing is terrible.

Remember that Japanese voice-over work is much more respected where as American voiceover wok isn't.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th January 2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 120901)
Ponyo and Nausicaa are SPECTACULAR on blu ray! Crystal clear and extremely vibrant looking!

I've seen Ponyo on both DVD and Blu-ray and the difference is startling. I'll add Nausicaa to my collection once my pile of unwatched discs has gone down a bit as I have about 20 titles that are still in the shrinkwrap plus two seasons of True Blood and the entire Battlestar Galactica collection (about 80 hours worth of viewing) on BD!

pedromonkey 9th January 2011 08:49 PM

Nausicaa is cut by a considerable amount in the UK and US. The Japanese release is about 30-40 minutes longer but costs upwards of £80.

picked up Cabin Fever 2 and Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake today...

Sam 9th January 2011 10:15 PM

Picked up the following tat from Home Bargains for for 99p each:-

Hitcher 2
The Blackout (with Abel Ferrara's name spelt wrong on the cover :lol:)
Cold Sweat

Eurosleaze 9th January 2011 10:38 PM

Oh yes - and I just remembered I've ordered these from Italy. This will probably be my last-ever order from Kultvideo as I think I've essentially exhausted their collection of English-language friendly rare delights.

I bought:

Are We Men or Corporals? (R2 PAL Italian Cristaldi)

Don Quixote and Sancho Panza (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

Dorian Gray (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

Europa 51 (R2 PAL Italian Cristaldi) - SINGLE DISC VERSION: wasn't sure whether the second disc's extras were in English, and this being an Italian DVD I didn't want to risk an extra tenner for a second disc I wouldn't be able to understand

The Godson of the Godfather (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

A Man Called Apocalypse Joe (R2 PAL Italian IIF)

Neapolitan Turk (R2 PAL Italian Cristaldi)

A Noose for Django (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

Rulers of the City (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

The Teenage Prostitution Racket (R2 PAL Italian Raro Video)

Terror Express (R0 PAL Austrian Camera Obscura)

Violent City (R2 PAL Italian RHV)

antmumford 10th January 2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundercrack (Post 120903)
Have you remembered to get the 2 disc editions of Spirited Away, Tales from Earthsea, Grave of the Fireflies,Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo but remember to watch them in Japanese with English subtitles as the dubbing is terrible.

Remember that Japanese voice-over work is much more respected where as American voiceover wok isn't.

Oh yes! I made sure that I got all the 2-disc versions too. Had to compile a list from checking online just to make sure no others were 2-discs. :D

chapaqua 10th January 2011 11:56 AM

Just bought myself on Amazon, two absolute corkers. Enzo G.Castelleri's 1985action film, 'Lightblast'. And the 1987 survivalist action thriller from New Line Cinema, 'Quiet Cool'. (1987) Arrow Video could do worse than pick them up for UK DVD distribution. As far as I'm aware, they're not available anywhere on DVD.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 12:28 PM

I know I really shouldn't laugh, but this bit seemed amusing:
Quote:

Originally Posted by chapaqua (Post 121007)
Just bought myself on Amazon

How much did you cost?

BioZombie 10th January 2011 12:43 PM

Popped into CEX while I was in town and picked up:

Tiger on the Beat HKL DVD £3
Dirty Harry Warner Brothers £6

I used to own Tiger on the Beat, but sold it along with loads of other DVDs when I moved to a smaller place. It's one of the films I most regretted selling (along with my Street Fighter trilogy), so when I saw it in CEX for £3 I couldnt resist re-buying it.

Dirty Harry is a film I've been meaning to pick up on BD for ages as I got rid of my DVD intending to upgrade. Annoying thing is one of the multiple stickers CEX puts on their stuff was stuck on top of an old sticker and it's left a stick mark on the box, grrrrr!!!

Does anyone know if the New Retrospective Documentry The Long Shadow of Dirty Harry is BD exclusive or was it on the DVD?

thundercrack 10th January 2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 121012)
I know I really shouldn't laugh, but this bit seemed amusing: How much did you cost?

£2.77 including p&p probably.

Secrets of Sex which arrived in today's post.