Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 489467)
Watched the film yesterday and loved the score so much i just ordered the cd.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...409522af63.jpg

Is the film any good though?

If it's like that last western thing he did then the score will be pilfered from other, better films.

J Harker 11th May 2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 489469)
Is the film any good though?

If it's like that last western thing he did then the score will be pilfered from other, better films.

The score is by Morricone. There's only 2 actual songs on the soundtrack and the rest is Morricones music. Its brilliant, reminiscent of classic horror scores such as Psycho or The Shining i thought. Which is essentially what the film is, albiet disguised as a western. I'll try and get a review up later, i loved every second of it. But then i thought Django Unchained was brilliant too so maybe i know nothing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 489473)
The score is by Morricone. There's only 2 actual songs on the soundtrack and the rest is Morricones music. Its brilliant, reminiscent of classic horror scores such as Psycho or The Shining i thought. Which is essentially what the film is, albiet disguised as a western. I'll try and get a review up later, i loved every second of it. But then i thought Django Unchained was brilliant too so maybe i know nothing.

Unchained was okay, but it went on and on and on and on.

To say QT is influenced by all these great westerns and their directors i can't think of any of these influences that sat around for hours on end doing nothing except swearing at each other.

J Harker 11th May 2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 489475)
Unchained was okay, but it went on and on and on and on.

To say QT is influenced by all these great westerns and their directors i can't think of any of these influences that sat around for hours on end doing nothing except swearing at each other.

[emoji4] yeah don't bother with this one either then Dem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 489476)
[emoji4] yeah don't bother with this one either then Dem.

I will watch it. Tarantino is brilliant at conversation and sitting round tables. See the restaurant scene in Reservoir Dogs and the opening to Inglorious Basterds. as examples.

J Harker 11th May 2016 12:52 PM

Only Tarantino film i didn't enjoy was Death Proof and even that had some redemption in the last act. I'm not overly impressed with Jackie Brown either but its far from poor.

Nordicdusk 11th May 2016 02:12 PM

I didn't enjoy Hateful Eight only watched it the once just didn't sit right with me I'm sure I need a second viewing one or two bits jus really dragged out way too much. Kurt Russel was the highlight for me.

J Harker 11th May 2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 489486)
I didn't enjoy Hateful Eight only watched it the once just didn't sit right with me I'm sure I need a second viewing one or two bits jus really dragged out way too much. Kurt Russel was the highlight for me.

I have a recollection of a few negative reviews here. To me a film is only too long if I'm bored. I was never once bored and thought it flew by.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 489479)
Only Tarantino film i didn't enjoy was Death Proof and even that had some redemption in the last act. I'm not overly impressed with Jackie Brown either but its far from poor.

I have The Hateful Eight as a rental from Lovefilm, which I hope to watch tomorrow (I probably won't have time today) and although I really didn't care for Inglourious Basterds (nor the spelling of the title!) or Django Unchained, I hope this won't be as derivative and actually make the three hours time well spent.

I'm one of those who think Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best film: controlled, beautifully plotted, well edited, and superbly acted. After that, he seemed to become a bit self-indulgent as there was no one to say 'no' or 'Quentin, the film is long enough already!'.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2016 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 489488)

I'm one of those who think Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best film: controlled, beautifully plotted, well edited, and superbly acted. After that, he seemed to become a bit self-indulgent as there was no one to say 'no' or 'Quentin, the film is long enough already!'.

Although i don't consider it Tarantino's best film i do really like Jackie Brown. His third best behind Dogs (fave) and Pulp. Death Proof is good but i'm not a fan of the Kill Bill's.