Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th July 2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 499321)
I normally try to watch films with no expectations and as open a mind as possible but, in the case of The Wicker Tree, it was almost impossible to escape the negativity.

Hopefully you'll never watch Great Expectations then. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th July 2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499326)
Hopefully you'll never watch Great Expectations then. ;)

I've read the book!

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th July 2016 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 499333)
I've read the book!

With low expectations i trust?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th July 2016 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499334)
With low expectations i trust?

With high expectations, perhaps even great expectations, which it more than met. :nod:

trebor8273 29th July 2016 07:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
today's delivery's

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th July 2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 499299)
Never seen The Wicker Tree, but I enjoyed Jonah Hex. I have to laugh whenever someone says a film is terrible, or even the worst film they've ever seen. I can get enjoyment out of anything I watch. They're films. Entertainment, and I'm entertained when I watch them. That's why other peolple's opinions of films mean nothing to me when I'm deciding to watch something (or not).

...but surely you've seen films that you haven't enjoyed, or equally seen films that you enjoy more than others so must be able to relate to some degree? As for people's opinions, I guess it depends what you're into, but I'm always looking for recommendations on what to watch and expand my viewing horizons, what with cinema being so diverse and interesting, whether from a lot of the good folk on here or other places I visit - otherwise I may not have seen a lot of the films I've checked out over the years.

As for The Wicker Tree, you ain't missing much. I think in its defense though it's tarred by The Wicker Man brush so is not easy for people to separate and therefore will always fall short in comparison. If it was a stand-alone film with no Wicker Man ties, who knows it may have been received slightly more positively... however then there's the fact of people not even checking it out at all. I for one was more curious to see it based on its 'Wicker' connection.

Stephen@Cult Labs 29th July 2016 08:09 PM

What Have You Bought Recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 499339)
...but surely you've seen films that you haven't enjoyed, or equally seen films that you enjoy more than others so must be able to relate to some degree? As for people's opinions, I guess it depends what you're into, but I'm always looking for recommendations on what to watch and expand my viewing horizons, what with cinema being so diverse and interesting, whether from a lot of the good folk on here or other places I visit - otherwise I may not have seen a lot of the films I've checked out over the years.

As for The Wicker Tree, you ain't missing much. I think in its defense though it's tarred by The Wicker Man brush so is not easy for people to separate and therefore will always fall short in comparison. If it was a stand-alone film with no Wicker Man ties, who knows it may have been received slightly more positively... however then there's the fact of people not even checking it out at all. I for one was more curious to see it based on its 'Wicker' connection.

Tbh, I've never seen a film that I haven't watched again, or wouldn't watch again. And I should've been clearer, I meant if someone told me a film was terrible, it wouldn't make me not watch it.

MuckyFunster 29th July 2016 08:13 PM

I got my "Electric 6 - Roulette Stars of Metro Detroit" Kickstarter package in today!!

That's the Dvd, the soundtrack CD along with the Dick Valentine Raw sessions, and the E6 demos and rarities album "Sexy Trash".

Really pleased to get it in, after the Kickstarter project ended last July. Wasn't so pleased with my HMRC bill to pay - £8.18 in vat, plus £8 Royal Mail ransom...sorry, ahem..."admin fee".

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...2c801a5bb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen@Cult Labs 29th July 2016 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got Deadpool on blu-ray. Went for the German version, reversible cover without the huge FSK rating logo. Came in a blue case, so I swapped it for a red one since it's been released that way in a few countries, and looks so much better. The only thing I watched on the disc are the trailers/promos for the film. Forgot there were so many!

Attachment 180913

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th July 2016 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And picked up the UK dvd of Kickboxer 4, the reason I now have two copies is that the one on the US disc is the cut R-rated version.

Attachment 180936