Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

J Harker 3rd September 2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503741)
You lot are making me think i should watch it this evening. :nod: [emoji38]

Do it!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503741)
You lot are making me think i should watch it this evening. :nod: :lol:

To provide a counter opinion (although I know I'm very much in the minority on this) I didn't much care for it myself. Admittedly, the annoying kid was mostly to blame - think Bob from THBTC but much worse with much more screen-time. I found it to grate on me and be more irritating than creepy or engaging, although with it being an allegory for mental illness this was most likely the point and it plays out more akin to a psychological drama than a horror film in most regards - not that it is a bad thing, as some of my favourite films are psychological in nature. However, I found it to be a little clumsy in terms of the subject matter and the two leads were so annoying when on screen together I just wanted them to shut up, exit stage left and die most of the time. Excellent sound design though if that is your thing.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503749)
To provide a counter opinion (although I know I'm very much in the minority on this) I didn't much care for it myself. Admittedly, the annoying kid was mostly to blame - think Bob from THBTC but much worse with much more screen-time. I found it to grate on me and be more irritating than creepy or engaging, although with it being an allegory for mental illness this was most likely the point and it plays out more akin to a psychological drama than a horror film in most regards - not that it is a bad thing, as some of my favourite films are psychological in nature. However, I found it to be a little clumsy in terms of the subject matter and the two leads were so annoying when on screen together I just wanted them to shut up, exit stage left and die most of the time. Excellent sound design though if that is your thing.

I switched it off after about 15 minutes, and it was because of the annoying kid.

Deadite 3rd September 2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 503750)
I switched it off after about 15 minutes, and it was because of the annoying kid.

More fool you!

I can't really expound without spoiling it, but it really rewards patience IMO. Obviously not everyone has to like it, but i found it rather profound and i was mulling over differing theories on it for days.

Different strokes for different folks!

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503749)
To provide a counter opinion (although I know I'm very much in the minority on this) I didn't much care for it myself. Admittedly, the annoying kid was mostly to blame - think Bob from THBTC but much worse with much more screen-time.

Quote:

And it's gone to the very bottom of the pile now.

CEX give a £1.20 voucher for it which is about what i paid, so goodbyeeee!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503755)
And it's gone to the very bottom of the pile now.

CEX give a £1.20 voucher for it which is about what i paid, so goodbyeeee!

I'd definitely watch (or at least attempt) it before you offload it. It's one of those films I was curious about and my curiosity has been satisfied (for better or worse). It does have some positives and you (generally) seem to get more out of films than I do most of the time so despite my own opinions I'd still recommend giving it a shot.

Maybe save it for Decemberdike though. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503756)
I'd definitely watch (or at least attempt) it before you offload it. It's one of those films I was curious about and my curiosity has been satisfied (for better or worse). It does have some positives and you (generally) seem to get more out of films than I do most of the time so despite my own opinions I'd still recommend giving it a shot.

Maybe save it for Decemberdike though. ;)

You have to be kidding! I try and save the (hopefully) best films i've picked up, not something with an annoying brat in it.

trebor8273 3rd September 2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Ditto, awful little brat

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503759)
You have to be kidding! I try and save the (hopefully) best films i've picked up, not something with an annoying brat in it.

I thought you just saved new horror you'd picked up in general.

Plus, you (like others on here and elsewhere) may love it. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503761)
I thought you just saved new horror you'd picked up in general.

God no! Do you see some of the garbage i pick up?

I have several of your recommendations from this year in the Decemberdike drawer. - What the Peeper Saw, The Cat and the Canary, Don't Deliver us From Evil, Father's Day, to name four off the top of my head ... annoying brats are a definite no go area.