Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503793)
When I saw it in the cinema, I didn't think it would be considered a 'Marmite film', but that's the impression I'm picking up from the posts here. It would be interesting to see whether Demdike loves it or hates it.

I don't really hate it, as there are things about it I thought were done pretty well. I just think it's nothing special with some extremely grating performances and gets waaaayyy more praise than is justified.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503795)
I don't really hate it, as there are things about it I thought were done pretty well. I just think it's nothing special with some extremely grating performances and gets waaaayyy more praise than is justified.

It's going to be British high brow stuff for me shortly as i start the three hour lavish epic Nicholas and Alexandra. Russian Tsar's and Tom Baker as Rasputin. Should be good. :nod:

Deadite 3rd September 2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503795)

I presume you're talking about media critics and the like?

I came into the film cold which i find useful more often than not - you get more good and bad surprises that way.

Dunno, i found it one of the most thought-provoking films i saw last year.

Vive le difference eh?

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 06:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another little trip to Glasgow today. Only one Star Trek left to get. I've gone off steelbooks a bit, but this was the only way to get the original artwork on a blu-ray release. Plus, I picked up Signal One's release of Eyewitness. Another stacked blu-ray from them.

Attachment 182190Attachment 182191

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503797)
It's going to be British high brow stuff for me shortly as i start the three hour lavish epic Nicholas and Alexandra. Russian Tsar's and Tom Baker as Rasputin. Should be good. :nod:

Enjoy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 503798)
I presume you're talking about media critics and the like?

I came into the film cold which i find useful more often than not - you get more good and bad surprises that way.

Dunno, i found it one of the most thought-provoking films i saw last year.

Vive le difference eh?

No, it also seems to get a lot of buzz with fans within the cult / horror film community. I rarely have time for critic reviews.

I'm also the same with preferring to approach films with an unbiased opinion as possible. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 503799)
Plus, I picked up Signal One's release of Eyewitness. Another stacked blu-ray from them.

Nice. Want to pick that one up at some point myself.

J Harker 3rd September 2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503792)
Perhaps in a few weeks time when i've forgotten this conversation.

I'd have preconceptions of an annoying brat if i went into it tonight.

Shame, its always interesting when someone is about to watch something you really enjoyed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503793)
When I saw it in the cinema, I didn't think it would be considered a 'Marmite film', but that's the impression I'm picking up from the posts here. It would be interesting to see whether Demdike loves it or hates it.

Agreed.

trebor8273 3rd September 2016 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ordered this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gag 3rd September 2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503787)
So that's The Goonies and The Lost Boys come into a discussion regarding the merits of The Babadook. It has no chance. :tsk:

I didnt like Babadook thought it was way over rated and massive let down.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd September 2016 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 503801)
Nice. Want to pick that one up at some point myself.

Aside from having the original (vhs quality) UK fullscreen "The Janitor" version as an extra, the HD version can be played with that title on the main credits. Would've been nice if they had included a reversible cover using that title too.