Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

BioZombie 14th December 2009 11:28 AM

Its been a while since I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre so I've been looking forward to seeing my blu-ray copy. I think I've owned 4 different incarnations of TCM over the years. A suitably terrible looking bootleg when the film was first banned, an official VHS, the special edition DVD and now this blu-ray, and its never looked better. Ok so there’s a lot of grain and its got its fair share of dust scratches (less wear that I'd have thought) but it's still pretty detailed. You can clearly see blisters on Franklins arms from his wheel chair, every blood vessel in Sally's eye is visible on the close ups. This transfer shows off the excellent lighting that really sells The Family as creepy as hell. Where this film really shines though is in the few scenes that are set at sunset, the oranges and yellows in the sky give a glow to everything and make the final iconic shot of Leatherface wielding his chainsaw (I think this is my favourite cinema image) even more exhilarating. For TCM fans with a BD player this is a must own.(I've yet to fully explore the wealth of bonus material).

I watched TCM with the original mono sound track, it has 5.1 and stereo tracks but the mono was effective enough for me.

It was also good to know the film still creeps me out, I love going back to an old film you think you know really well and being surprised by the stuff you'd forgotten.

Now please, please, please, please can someone give TCM 2 the same fantastic treatment.

:chainsaw::rockon:

I also watched Inglourious Basterds on blu-ray the other evening. It was as excellent as it was in the cinema and the transfer and sound are what you'd expect from a new release (ie top notch). Also highly recommended.

DeadAlive 14th December 2009 12:30 PM

Just ordered Timecrimes and Let The Right One In from Amazon. My last treat to myself this year/decade. :dance:

Daemonia 14th December 2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 53153)
Now please, please, please, please can someone give TCM 2 the same fantastic treatment.

:chainsaw::rockon:

I agree totally. Sadly it might be a while - TCM2 is an MGM property and they're being very slow in bringing out Blu-ray releases. For some reason they seem to dislike Blu-ray intensely. When they do release a Blu-ray it's always bare-bones, never bothering to port over the features from their DVD Special Edition counterparts. Fox are another one who are showing great reluctance in throwing their wieght behind Blu-ray.

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th December 2009 01:13 PM

I think If TCM 2 comes out on blu-ray it could be around halloween next year like MGM did with Child's Play.They've been releasing catalogue blu-rays recently as 2 disc editions with the already available dvds bundled in there with all the special features as a 2nd disc instead of putting them on the blu-ray so I would expect them to do the same with TCM 2.I only hope they would change the artwork because that SAW inspired art on the Gruesome editiion dvd is horrendous.They should use the classic Breakfast Club pose art or the one that Elite used on the laserdisc.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/9...76ae48de5b.jpg http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/764...763ed44322.jpg

Daemonia 14th December 2009 03:09 PM

Watched TCM on Blu-ray last night and it was knock-out. This is definitely the best it has ever looked on home video. Absolutely stunning. Not Hollywood stunning - that is to say, some might say what's all the fuss about. But this transfer really gives it that gritty, low-budget look that it so deserves. It certainly doesn't detract, in fact, it looks more Grindhouse than ever before. If this is what can be done with low-budget 70's exploitation fare, then more please!

bon43 14th December 2009 03:22 PM

dawn of the dead

dawn of the dead looks great for such an old movie plus you get every version of the film there is but only the theatrical is on blu ray

bon43 14th December 2009 03:30 PM

recent purchases

night of the creeps blu-ray from play.com international section
it was 13.99 and is packed with extras classic zombie movie great dialog and great zombie make up

42ndStreetFreak 14th December 2009 07:38 PM

"Dante 01" - £1. 'Poundland' find.

"Poultrygeist" is lots of disgusting fun. I picked up the 3 disc last year from 'Amazon' for £13

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th December 2009 09:18 PM

I've just ordered DIRTY HARRY BOXSET-£17.99-PLAY
and THE BOURNE TRILOGY-£17.98-AMAZON.:dance:

Rob Strange 15th December 2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 53169)
Watched TCM on Blu-ray last night and it was knock-out. This is definitely the best it has ever looked on home video. Absolutely stunning. Not Hollywood stunning - that is to say, some might say what's all the fuss about. But this transfer really gives it that gritty, low-budget look that it so deserves. It certainly doesn't detract, in fact, it looks more Grindhouse than ever before. If this is what can be done with low-budget 70's exploitation fare, then more please!

Yeah, I agree. The blu ray actually looks more down 'n dirty than the recent dvd version - the enhanced grain gives the film extra character - this is the way to watch TCM.