Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th January 2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 515950)
£3.99 and £2.99 respectively.

Probably going against the grain here, but i prefer Abraham Lincoln to the QT film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 515962)
Probably going against the grain here, but i prefer Abraham Lincoln to the QT film.

You're not the only contrarian. I haven't seen Inglourious Basterds since it was at the cinema, but didn't like the episodic storytelling and bloated runtime. I recently bought the BD when it was cheap at Music Magpie, but haven't watched it yet. I do remember really enjoying Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which is another BD I have recently bought and not yet watched.

Inspector Abberline 5th January 2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 515966)
You're not the only contrarian. I haven't seen Inglourious Basterds since it was at the cinema, but didn't like the episodic storytelling and bloated runtime. I recently bought the BD when it was cheap at Music Magpie, but haven't watched it yet. I do remember really enjoying Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which is another BD I have recently bought and not yet watched.

BASTARDS was a hopeless mess,apart from rewriting history (I know its just a film but Hitler really ??) Michael Fassbender was the only good thing about it..

keirarts 5th January 2017 06:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 185363 Attachment 185364

Attachment 185365

Arrived today

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 515968)
BASTARDS was a hopeless mess,apart from rewriting history (I know its just a film but Hitler really ??) Michael Fassbender was the only good thing about it..

I have no problem with the fabulous storytelling (i.e. from a fable or legend, rather than extremely successful – I'm sure it begins with something like "Once Upon a Time in Nazi Occupied France"). It was the series of episodes that jarred. I loved the opening sequence in the cabin and the whole story about the dybbuk, but to structure the whole film like that seemed self-indulgent and allowed any tension which had built up to dissipate between chapters.

keirarts 5th January 2017 07:53 PM

I really enjoyed basterds, but then I seem to be in a minority of people who seem to enjoy QT's work.

Inspector Abberline 5th January 2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 515974)
I have no problem with the fabulous storytelling (i.e. from a fable or legend, rather than extremely successful – I'm sure it begins with something like "Once Upon a Time in Nazi Occupied France"). It was the series of episodes that jarred. I loved the opening sequence in the cabin and the whole story about the dybbuk, but to structure the whole film like that seemed self-indulgent and allowed any tension which had built up to dissipate between chapters.

All the Germans were portrayed like 2nd rate extras from Allo,Allo.

J Harker 5th January 2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 515977)
I really enjoyed basterds, but then I seem to be in a minority of people who seem to enjoy QT's work.

Count me in. I think he gets better and better.

Rik 5th January 2017 08:30 PM

And me, I've been a fan of his since Reservoir Dogs finally got a release, there's only Death Proof that I'm not overly keen on

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 515992)
And me, I've been a fan of his since Reservoir Dogs finally got a release, there's only Death Proof that I'm not overly keen on

Death Proof sucks donkey balls. It's the most self-indulgent of all Tarantino's movies, and that's saying something. It isn't even, unlike Planet Terror, fun.