Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

J Harker 19th June 2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 538362)
Not by me, I'm starting to get reluctant to buy their stuff now. I paid 15.50 for Deep Red just 18 months ago and that came with a soundtrack CD and 2 cuts of the film. We're getting less value for 7.50 more with Bird, but it's in a fancy thick card box so they think they can trick us...

However, they've also backed us into a corner, they know we want it :(

Yes, Deep Red was 16.99 from HMV, only slightly less than Arrow direct so I don't understand why Phenomena, a very similar package was nearly a tenner more only 18 months or so later.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 538354)
I was looking at The Cat Girl on the Network sale yesterday, I never picked it up though.

I like Cat Girl.

Inspired by Val Lewton i think. Read my review if you wish. This should link you to it.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/mem...tml#post457255

keirarts 19th June 2017 09:37 AM

Given a lot of Euro hardboxes go for 30-40 I don't think all Arrows stuff is necessarily over priced. A lot of their standard releases are 15-18 direct but usually can be had cheaper through HMV/Amazon ect.
Bird is worth the 25 IMO. The restoration is terrific and theres some intersting extras.

Justin101 19th June 2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 538372)
I like Cat Girl.

Inspired by Val Lewton i think. Read my review if you wish. This should link you to it.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/mem...tml#post457255

Sounds good, thanks, do you have any other from The British Film range that would be well paired with this, I'd hate to only buy one thing, although I did spend 25 yesterday on sale stuff, which will be revealed once it arrives!

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 538374)
Sounds good, thanks, do you have any other from The British Film range that would be well paired with this, I'd hate to only buy one thing, although I did spend 25 yesterday on sale stuff, which will be revealed once it arrives!

Give me a minute...

Justin101 19th June 2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 538373)
Given a lot of Euro hardboxes go for 30-40 I don't think all Arrows stuff is necessarily over priced. A lot of their standard releases are 15-18 direct but usually can be had cheaper through HMV/Amazon ect.
Bird is worth the 25 IMO. The restoration is terrific and theres some intersting extras.

That's also a valid opinion, I'm definitely sensitive to the fact that the UK scene is a lot a cheaper than Europe and US, but it's a difficult transition to be known for really good value and 12.99 day one release prices to suddenly being 15.99 for regular releases and 20+ for fancy 1 film sets. 88 Films is struggling with this also, their deal with HMV and the Italian/Slasher lines has hurt them in the long run because I see films like Delerium and Iron Master for 15 in the shops and I think, nah, that would have been 9 six months ago...

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2017 09:47 AM

I'm not sure what you have already, Justin, however.

The Night Has Eyes is strongly recommended if you like old dark house movies.

Link is brilliant, The Iron Maiden was a comedy i really enjoyed.

Horrors of the Black Museum is a nice slice of English Gothic, Baby Love has Linda Hayden seducing all and sundry in a psycho thriller, or if you want weird sci-fi there's The Final Programme.

Justin101 19th June 2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 538377)
I'm not sure what you have already, Justin, however.

The Night Has Eyes is strongly recommended if you like old dark house movies.

Link is brilliant, The Iron Maiden was a comedy i really enjoyed.

Horrors of the Black Museum is a nice slice of English Gothic, Baby Love has Linda Hayden seducing all and sundry in a psycho thriller, or if you want weird sci-fi there's The Final Programme.

Baby Love did catch my eye to be honest, it has a good lurid cover! Thanks for the suggestions! I did order one yesterday which I'm sure is going to be crap but it sounds really fun so I'll let you all know what I think. I'm hoping that these will all come this week, I'm off work until next Monday!

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 538378)
Baby Love did catch my eye to be honest, it has a good lurid cover! Thanks for the suggestions! I did order one yesterday which I'm sure is going to be crap but it sounds really fun so I'll let you all know what I think. I'm hoping that these will all come this week, I'm off work until next Monday!

You're welcome.

What did you order?

If you want some thriller suggestions then -

Home at 7
Noose for a Lady
Model for Murder
The Man Who Finally Died
The Scotland Yard Mystery

J Harker 19th June 2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 538380)
You're welcome.

What did you order?

If you want some thriller suggestions then -

Home at 7
Noose for a Lady
Model for Murder
The Man Who Finally Died
The Scotland Yard Mystery

I'll add Dangerous Voyage and Catacombs onto your suggestions if i may Dem.
I ordered Link last night along with the Armchair Thriller box set.