Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

J Harker 10th August 2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 545868)
...Trebor got there first and cleared them out.

But fear not, he sold them all to cex two days before he bought them....

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th August 2017 07:04 AM

What Have You Bought Recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 545863)
There is a Universal disc in the box, but it is the Spanish release with British and Irish ratings (see picture). I've just checked and the bathroom scene has the double 'head clap', so it is definitely uncut.

Yeah that's the same disc I have in mine.

monkeypedro 11th August 2017 02:27 PM

12 Attachment(s)
New stuff from the last couple of weeks. All deliveries except for The Handmaiden special edition which i picked up instore from Sainsbury's and the A Fine Romance dvds which were from a market stall.

Ordered a used copy of Fate of the Furious from All Your Music but due to a totally damaged steelbook case i only received the discs rehoused in a standard bluray case complete with J-card and digital download but at only £5 i couldn't complain especially as it has both 4K disc and Bluray disc. Now just need to get a sleeve for it though.

Justin101 11th August 2017 02:38 PM

Kath & Kim! :rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2017 03:28 PM

That William Powell / Myrna Loy set is excellent, MonkeyPedro.

There's only Double Wedding that i don't consider a stone cold classic. It's a set i've watched at least five times each.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th August 2017 08:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Glasboxes ordered!
Whatever the **** they are......:confused:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 545956)
Glasboxes ordered!
Whatever the **** they are......:confused:

Presumably the translation is not literal, because a glass DVD/Blu-ray case is not exactly practical!

Nostalgic 11th August 2017 10:33 PM

Ok, I have a question (hopefully someone on here has lots of Kurosawa knowledge & can help). I have the recent BFI releases (dvd) of Seven Samurai & Rashomon, picture quality is very good & extras have obviously been updated. I bought Yojimbo, Throne of Blood and The Hidden Fortress from cex by post, when they arrived they look like quite old releases (red spines, and copyright 2001, 2002 on the notes).

I was wondering if anyone owns the bfi kurosawa samurai blu ray set & if the picture/sound quality is an improvement over these older releases? I know there is a new commentary on throne of blood on the br set, so possibly the extras are different.

Finally, apparently the bfi seven samurai is not the longest cut, it runs 3 hours 13 mins without the intermission. Is there a longer cut available on r2?

As always, thanks for any help, i just couldnt find a kurosawa thread anywhere so thought i'd ask here.

:thankingyou:

Demoncrat 11th August 2017 10:53 PM

Those red spines have made up the bulk of my Kurosawa section for years ... so that's Cex for ye ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 545963)
I was wondering if anyone owns the bfi kurosawa samurai blu ray set & if the picture/sound quality is an improvement over these older releases? I know there is a new commentary on throne of blood on the br set, so possibly the extras are different.

Finally, apparently the bfi seven samurai is not the longest cut, it runs 3 hours 13 mins without the intermission. Is there a longer cut available on r2?

As always, thanks for any help, i just couldnt find a kurosawa thread anywhere so thought i'd ask here.

:thankingyou:

The only versions I have are from the BFI and Criterion, with the latter running over 10 minutes longer, possibly due to PAL speed up.

The BFI say the picture was "digitally remastered from a new print" and, if I remember correctly, it looks very good and is only bettered by the Criterion releases.