Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th September 2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 549182)
I wish you wouldn't post games with your movies purchases, Treb. You spoil posts with them. At least for me as i couldn't give a rats ass for game purchases and tend to flick over posts when there are seemingly games involved. :lol:

That's just me though. :)

I'm the same. This thread was created when two separate ones, devoted to DVD and Blu-ray purchases, were merged and should really be what films and TV you've recently purchased.

SymbioticFunction 5th September 2017 01:12 PM

Bought Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 yesterday. Paid 7.75 pounds for the blu-ray as I used a current 15% Sainsbury's staff discount and nectar points. I was pretty happy with that price. Haven't seen it yet. Wife and I are saving it for Thursday afternoon (we both have the day off) so we can play it quite loud without feeling sorry for the flat's neighbours! :)

Justin101 5th September 2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 549208)
Bought Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 yesterday. Paid 7.75 pounds for the blu-ray as I used a current 15% Sainsbury's staff discount and nectar points. I was pretty happy with that price. Haven't seen it yet. Wife and I are saving it for Thursday afternoon (we both have the day off) so we can play it quite loud without feeling sorry for the flat's neighbours! :)

I bought it yesterday too, I really enjoyed it at the cinema, I hope you like it too!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th September 2017 01:23 PM

I have (very) recently bought the technology so I can play Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs so I now have the quandary of whether to buy new releases – Logan, Kong: Skull Island, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 etc. on Blu-ray or the new and more expensive format with apparently stunning sound and picture quality.

I know they are more expensive, but I figure if I buy a film (or, in the case of something like Planet Earth II, a TV series) I really like on Blu-ray Disc I really like, I'll end up upgrading it to the better format, something I've been doing for years with films I have on DVD.

Justin101 5th September 2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 549213)
I have (very) recently bought the technology so I can play Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs so I now have the quandary of whether to buy new releases – Logan, Kong: Skull Island, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 etc. on Blu-ray or the new and more expensive format with apparently stunning sound and picture quality.

I know they are more expensive, but I figure if I buy a film (or, in the case of something like Planet Earth II, a TV series) I really like on Blu-ray Disc I really like, I'll end up upgrading it to the better format, something I've been doing for years with films I have on DVD.

I know it's about a fiver more, but for films with stunning visuals you should go for it. Although I wouldn't with Kong though because it's not very good :lol:

SymbioticFunction 5th September 2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 549213)

Apparently the American UHD of Leon looks absolutely stunning. If I had UHD technology, that would be one of the first releases that I would pick up. Is available on ebay (and is quite pricey) but I've read great things about it. Hopefully it will also make it over to the UK.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th September 2017 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 549217)
I know it's about a fiver more, but for films with stunning visuals you should go for it. Although I wouldn't with Kong though because it's not very good :lol:

That's possibly the first negative thing I've heard about Skull Island here!

I will probably buy the UHD discs because the sets come with a BD and, like I said, I don't want to be a situation where I'm buying the same film again in a year or two, something which will be more expensive in the long run.

With all the ones I mentioned, along with other films from the last year or two such as John Wick 1 & 2, Arrival, The Martian, Mad Max Fury Road and The Revenant, they have all been mentioned on various websites as having amazing visuals and expansive soundscapes, and other sort of things you used to show off your home cinema.

It's very different, but the only things I've received in the last few days, and which arrived today, were the 18th and 19th seasons of South Park.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th September 2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 549226)
Apparently the American UHD of Leon looks absolutely stunning. If I had UHD technology, that would be one of the first releases that I would pick up. Is available on ebay (and is quite pricey) but I've read great things about it. Hopefully it will also make it over to the UK.

That sounds potentially very, very expensive! I love Leon and watched the VHS so often in 1996/97 that the tape snapped and I had to buy a replacement! Since then, I've bought a couple of different versions on DVD (theatrical and director's cuts from various locations) and again on BD, so this will probably be my fourth different format!

plasterface 5th September 2017 04:32 PM

purchases

from hmv a tenner each on blu the evil within ( this sounds nuts) and funnyman ( was'nt a fan years ago) but it jumped into my hand. Neverwhere dvd 6 quid to replace my missing copy. The ghoul also out good film but it'll have to wait.

platostotal 5th September 2017 05:14 PM

Well I saw it at a mates on dvd thought it all a bit 'meh' I was hoping for a real re-boot to make way for King Kong vs Godzilla but this was bland CGI overload IMHO.

so... "That's possibly the first negative thing I've heard about Skull Island here!" now we have two.