Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th October 2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthelvis (Post 279109)
I loved Black Swan but then again Portman is the hottest woman on the planet (besides my wife) so that may have swayed it for me.

Nice cover there, darth ;)

Hawkmonger 5th October 2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

I loved Black Swan but then again Portman is the hottest woman on the planet (besides my wife) so that may have swayed it for me.

Last second edit's much?

unrealbe 5th October 2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Does she logon to the computer to check what you've been posting lately?

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th October 2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Portman is the hottest woman on the planet

I'd have to disagree there. Nowhere near the hottest.

demonknight 5th October 2012 07:57 AM

Don't have it yet,but I plan on picking up prometheus on blu at the weekend.

Baseball Fury 5th October 2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 278939)
That's III but there is a flashback to it in IV too. I've been on that beach, btw. It's in Santa Monica, LA.

Oh yeah! It would be kind of hard to be in Rocky IV, haha

sawyer6 5th October 2012 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What was lost is found,well most of it

Wes 5th October 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 279092)
New arrivals...

Good haul there.... Werckmeister Harmonies is a masterpiece. Have you seen Satantango ? Extraordinary film...all 7 hours of it.

PaulD 5th October 2012 10:38 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Since the prospect of BU re-releasing these in HD seems really slim since they've been quiet of late I had a bit of a Blue Underground dvd splurge:

Wes 5th October 2012 10:39 AM

All fantastic really...can't lose there Paul...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th October 2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 279102)
I watched Black Swan few days ago and found it the most boring film ever.

I saw at the cinema and thought it was brilliant. I've since seen it a couple of times at home (on Blu-ray) and haven't changed my mind. It's the first outright horror film Darren Aronofsky – he's made films with a horror element before, but not as much as this – and the nods to Dario Argento and other gialli/horror filmmakers are there if you want to see them.

darthelvis 5th October 2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 279120)
I'd have to disagree there. Nowhere near the hottest.

Why don't we have a dislike button?

Wes 5th October 2012 11:07 AM

I was underwhelmed with Black Swan but it's a film I could easily warm to after a second screening... I'll see it again at some stage.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th October 2012 12:05 PM

I've seen Black Swan three times now, and have enjoyed it every time. Not an all time favourite, but still a great film.

Wes 5th October 2012 12:09 PM

Aronofsky is a very good film maker and I'd be be much more excited about a new film of his than say Ridley Scott (there's a thinly veiled dig at Prometeus in there!)...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th October 2012 12:18 PM

Me too. If I'm honest, the only Ridley Scott films I really like are Alien and Blade Runner. I can take or leave the rest.

oaxaca 5th October 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 279203)
Me too. If I'm honest, the only Ridley Scott films I really like are Alien and Blade Runner. I can take or leave the rest.

You ask me his best two films are these late 80s efforts:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Alien and Blade Runner don't entertain me as much as the above ones, but they are classics! His modern stuff I haven't bothered watching :p

James Morton 5th October 2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 279170)
I was underwhelmed with Black Swan but it's a film I could easily warm to after a second screening... I'll see it again at some stage.

i think BLACK SWAN is a very good psychiological horror
the only film i like from Aronofsky

SharonLynette 5th October 2012 12:58 PM

New stuff, just realised last night how late some of the stuff was! Luckily it all arrived before I took action!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL15.../404153250.jpg

Wes 5th October 2012 01:00 PM

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things one of favourite Horror films...

oaxaca 5th October 2012 01:43 PM

Nice buys Sharon, I'm also after that Nucleus double-bill DVD; have always wanted to watch CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEATH THINGS.

Wes 5th October 2012 01:49 PM

I wonder what the chances that some label can turn it into a decent Blu... it's always been one of the quintessential, this-is-as-good-as-it's-gonna-get-folks DVDs... Sharon, after watching the movie, be sure to watch the trailer - there's some extra stuff in it that was prepared especially for the trailer...

SharonLynette 5th October 2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 279229)
Nice buys Sharon, I'm also after that Nucleus double-bill DVD; have always wanted to watch CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEATH THINGS.

It had been on my wishlist for a while but always in the double figures and I'm cheap! But Zavvi had it for £7.95 and they still do, its worth snapping up!

Nimajneb 5th October 2012 02:05 PM

*cant upload pics*

but i have been building up my Fulci collection with:

Conquest
Four of the apocalypse

Expanded my Cannibal lot with:

The Mountain Of The Cannibal God
Eaten Alive
(and looking at getting Cannibal Ferox)

And also (you will all prob hate me for this) but im unsure about a few films so bit my tongue and bought Ultimate Shockfest, which contains the following:

(1) Don't Look In The Basement
(2) Blind Dead 3: Horror Of The Zombies
(3) Slave Of The Cannibal God
(4) City Of The Dead
(5) Alien Contamination
(6) Creepers aka Phenomena
(7) Deep Red aka Profondo Rosso
(8) Dementia 13
(9) Devil's Nightmare
(10) Don't Open Till Christmas
(11) Satanic Rites Of Dracula
(12) Driller Killer
(13) Drive-In Massacre
(14) Horror Express
(15) House By The Cemetery
(16) Messiah Of Evil
(17) Night Of The Living Dead [1968]
(18) Oasis Of The Zombies
(19) Pieces
(20) Unsane aka Tenebre

Im sure they will most likely be in not great condition BUT dont you worry, ill def be grabing a nice version of the ones i enjoy.

:)

Wes 5th October 2012 02:08 PM

Plenty of good stuff there Dude, those compilation sets are good for a look and there's some quality pictures there...

No matter what anyone says, Conquest is a good movie. At least I liked it...

Rik 5th October 2012 03:58 PM

Still no Universal Monsters coffin from Sainsbury's, or any explanation but I did get an email from them saying that my replacement Cabin in the Woods disc is delayed, 5 minutes after an email from them saying it has been posted, God knows what's going on with them, I received the disc yesterday! Last chance tomorrow otherwise I'm cancelling my order, along with the other items I've got on pre-order from them, I'll spend my £80 elsewhere!:censored::censored::mmph::mmph:

PaulD 5th October 2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 279262)
Still no Universal Monsters coffin from Sainsbury's, or any explanation but I did get an email from them saying that my replacement Cabin in the Woods disc is delayed, 5 minutes after an email from them saying it has been posted, God knows what's going on with them, I received the disc yesterday! Last chance tomorrow otherwise I'm cancelling my order, along with the other items I've got on pre-order from them, I'll spend my £80 elsewhere!:censored::censored::mmph::mmph:

That's so frustrating Rik. Hope you get it soon. Mine is currently on its way from Amazon; I hope it arrives tomorrow as I have the day off work (I usually work every weekend) and would love to have a lazy day going through that set.

Nimajneb 5th October 2012 04:05 PM

Ultimate Shockfest SD Blu-ray + Limited Edition Poster Horror Express / Alien Contamination / Night Of The Living Dead / Deep Red / Oasis Zombies / Messiah Evil / Satanic Rites Dracula / Dementia 13 / City ... 2011: Amazon.co.uk: Christopher Lee, Pet

Link to ultimate shockfest blu :)

And for got to add, also preordered Battle Royale Steely :) :)

Rik 5th October 2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 279263)
That's so frustrating Rik. Hope you get it soon. Mine is currently on its way from Amazon; I hope it arrives tomorrow as I have the day off work (I usually work every weekend) and would love to have a lazy day going through that set.

I'm gonna order from Amazon if it doesn't arrive tomorrow. Like I've said, I'm saving the films until Halloween anyway, but that is beside the point. I've used them loads of times and this is the first time I've had any trouble, they're usually really good and 9 times out of 10 they're the cheapest too

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th October 2012 04:41 PM

According to one reviewer the Blu looks no better than a vhs. :lol:

Talk about companies trying to cash in.

PaulD 5th October 2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 279282)

It's a good idea putting a load of films onto a bluray disc in standard definition but that does look like a hell of a lot of films crammed on there!

Rik 5th October 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 279282)

I saw that a few days ago and that review is the reason why it's not making it's way to me right now, bargain or not!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th October 2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 279262)

I hope your Universal Classic Monsters set arrives shortly. I only realised when mine arrived I ordered it from Tesco, not Sainsbury's – they had a slightly better deal at the time, so it cost me just over £38.

PaulD 5th October 2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 279290)
I hope your Universal Classic Monsters set arrives shortly. I only realised when mine arrived I ordered it from Tesco, not Sainsbury's – they had a slightly better deal at the time, so it cost me just over £38.

Gah, I could have gotten this for £41.50 as I get 10% discount with them. I always forget to check them when buying dvds and blurays

Rik 5th October 2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 279290)

So do I, I've usually got loads of patience but I'm slowly losing my patience with them. I've just sent them another long email so tomorrow really is last chance saloon for them, I'll take my business elsewhere

Criterion7 5th October 2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 279283)
It's a good idea putting a load of films onto a bluray disc in standard definition but that does look like a hell of a lot of films crammed on there!

Remember the days when we'd pay 25 bucks for a fourth generation bootleg VHS and we were happy. Horror fans have become so pampered.

Talked to a guy about some Troma stuff I'd bought and he said he was waiting for another company to put them out in pristine blu ray quality..pris is right :p

I'm one of those guys that dont mind the dvds not looking perfect. I buy Mill Creek comps which are hit and miss quality-wise but I always have fun with the movies.

PaulD 5th October 2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 279307)
Remember the days when we'd pay 25 bucks for a fourth generation bootleg VHS and we were happy. Horror fans have become so pampered.

Talked to a guy about some Troma stuff I'd bought and he said he was waiting for another company to put them out in pristine blu ray quality..pris is right :p

I'm one of those guys that dont mind the dvds not looking perfect. I buy Mill Creek comps which are hit and miss quality-wise but I always have fun with the movies.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I don;t think it's about being pampered though. I mean, I'll take poor quality over nothing but these days even the most obscure films can get great HD transfers so there's no reason not to have high standards

oaxaca 5th October 2012 06:29 PM

Done a trade with Handyman Joe and got 3 BU BDs + some other things I recently ordered...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Rik 5th October 2012 06:40 PM

Just ordered these 3 from zavvi, came to around £28
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

re.form 5th October 2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 278979)
Did you get a chance to look at it yet.

Not as yet, as Pete says, it's 1080i. Only cost me £6 new on amazon so not really arsed. Looking forward to watching it, have't seen it since I was a kid.