Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 552174)
That's where you and trebor differ then, because he was buying films which were available on all three formats (DVD, standard Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray), only two of which he could play at the time. With a new console and disk drive, trebor can now play all three and enjoy the glory of 4K!

It won't be long before a new even higher resolution is brought out and the suckers will be replacing everything again.

Inspector Abberline 27th September 2017 11:56 AM

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 552175)
It won't be long before a new even higher resolution is brought out and the suckers will be replacing everything again.

I have to say im more than happy with blu ray as it stands,and since most films I enjoy seem more suited to the grind-house experience,ie scratches,faded prints and ciggie burns...(all that is missing is the dirty old men,sitting next to me in otherwise empty cinema)....bugger ive lost my train of thought...ok hahaha look at Trebor buying all his stuff,with all his money.....Oh yeah I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge on blu ray,something kinky going on but could not put my finger in it....

Rik 27th September 2017 12:01 PM

I still haven’t upgraded all my films from DVD to Blu Ray, and tbh I doubt I will, so I certainly won’t be splashing out on 4K equipment or films :nod:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2017 12:17 PM

I was a little sceptical about 4K and whether it would really make a difference. However, I bought Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 to test my new setup and set the standard Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray playing simultaneously, switching from one to the other and was astonished at the difference – it was the same difference as when my brother connected his Xbox to a prior flatscreen and set the DVD and HD DVD of Blade Runner: The Final Cut at the same time. I know it's different because they were filmed in different resolutions, but there is a similar difference between Planet Earth and Planet Earth II, with the latter having astonishing picture quality.

I want to enjoy what I watch but, because of the prices, will try to limit my purchases as much as possible and stick to those which will be significantly better in 4K (and usually with Dolby Atmos) than 1080p HD. Like I said before, I don't think I'll upgrade many for now, sticking to buying new releases like Logan, La La Land, Baby Driver and Spider-Man: Homecoming on the new and more expensive format.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2017 12:22 PM

Some of the films i'm having delivered at the moment such as 1959's Jack the Ripper, haven't even had UK dvd releases never mind 4k HD. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 552184)
Some of the films i'm having delivered at the moment such as 1959's Jack the Ripper, haven't even had UK dvd releases never mind 4k HD. :lol:

That's a real shame for those films and those who want to watch them; as you'll know from my spending in the Network sales, I am more than happy to buy things on DVD when they are only available on that format, but will buy the more expensive discs when my love for the content and the quality warrants the extra expense.

Speaking of Network, I've recently watched and really enjoyed The Night Has Eyes, a wonderfully claustrophobic thriller/drama, and The Night Won't Talk, a short but very well constructed whodunnit with an almost unrecognisable Ballard Berkeley (the Major from Fawlty Towers). I was also pleasantly surprised by To Die For, perhaps most notable for the cast of young actors such as Nicole Kidman, Joaquin Phoenix, Matt Dillon and Casey Affleck, and Plenty, an interesting drama with a superb central performance by Meryl Streep.

Crimson Blade 27th September 2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 552175)

8K will apparently be out in a couple of years.
Wonder if they'll call it Supreme HD? :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 552187)

Speaking of Network, I've recently watched and really enjoyed The Night Has Eyes, a wonderfully claustrophobic thriller/drama, and The Night Won't Talk, a short but very well constructed whodunnit with an almost unrecognisable Ballard Berkeley (the Major from Fawlty Towers). I was also pleasantly surprised by To Die For, perhaps most notable for the cast of young actors such as Nicole Kidman, Joaquin Phoenix, Matt Dillon and Casey Affleck, and Plenty, an interesting drama with a superb central performance by Meryl Streep.

I don't have The Night Won't Talk. I'll get it in the next sale. Thanks.

Glad you also rate The Night Has Eyes. It's a terrific Gothic drama. I was reading about it the other day in Rigby's English Gothic book. (You should get that if you don't have it) He rates it highly as well.

trebor8273 27th September 2017 05:51 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Today's deliverys , just been on the phone to send Logan back as it was unsealed and only had the normal blu ray even the box was the wrong one as it only has one slot and the ultra HD box looks different!

gag 27th September 2017 06:04 PM

Personally my opinion I rather companies concentrate on finding films that haven't had a release from vhs and transferring them over to dvd blu ray or 4k than films that have been released about 20 times from loads of different companies ..
Just find their milking people ..

I'm happy with what I've got , will I upgrade the films I've got ? yes of course I will , when I see them cheap in charity shop, Cex and similar shops.