Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th October 2017 06:05 PM

Here's what i said about The Victim a few years back

The Victim. (2011)

Michael Biehn's directorial debut is marketed as a piece of grindhouse cinema, and to me it actually lives up to its billing. There are no missing reels or fake scratches on the film, always a sign of film makers thinking they understand what makes grindhouse cinema yet they are so wrong. What we get with The Victim is a tense, scuzzy, gratuitous, occasionally nasty, fast moving slice of exploitation with an edgy, twisty turny plot that keeps you interested.

The story involving a stripper who witnesses the murder of her friend by two police officers in the woods, eventually hiding out at Michael Biehn's isolated cottage to escape from them, is nothing new to the genre, but it's made with an infectious enthusiasm from all involved. For a first stab at the directing lark Biehn does well in my opinion. It's not perfect by any means, a driving scene is overlong for example, perhaps too many flashbacks, and a twist too many, but he manages to create an intense atmosphere and provide the viewer with a, for want of a better word, roller coaster ride of terror, sex and revenge on a minimal budget and small cast of mainly four people.

platostotal 12th October 2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 554112)
Not seen Hellboy so any good?

Well, if you haven't overdosed on Marvel/DC adaptions I liked both Hellboy films, and John hurt is in the first one too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th October 2017 07:06 PM

Hellboy is an excellent film; superbly directed and great fun, and the sequel is really good as well. They are a bit like Guardians of the Galaxy in tone if that helps.

bleakshaun 12th October 2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 554154)
Hellboy is an excellent film; superbly directed and great fun, and the sequel is really good as well. They are a bit like Guardians of the Galaxy in tone if that helps.

Agree completely

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

trebor8273 12th October 2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 554154)

Both Hellboys are fantastic films largely due to the direction etc of Del Toro and Ron Pearlman as Hellboy.

Make Them Die Slowly 12th October 2017 07:20 PM

Both the Hellboy films are nice bits of fluff. Nothing particularly special about either of them. Certainly worth watching but for me they lack something I can't quite put my finger on.

SilverSurfer 12th October 2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 554135)
but Zombeavers and The Victim are horrors, Treb.

Zombeavers is more comedy than horror as I saw it the other day,The beavers themselves are very large puppets with enhanced growls LOL

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th October 2017 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can you believe this muppet bought Dirty Dancing? [emoji38]

Attachment 197571

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th October 2017 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 554165)
Zombeavers is more comedy than horror as I saw it the other day,The beavers themselves are very large puppets with enhanced growls LOL

Ha,ha! It's also rubbish.

Demoncrat 12th October 2017 10:48 PM

I've never seen Dirty Dancing ...