Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

nosferatu42 15th January 2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 563026)
Of course not, Treb.

The films in question are - Doctor X, The Return of Doctor X, Mark of the Vampire, The Mask of Fu Manchu, Mad Love, and The Devil-Doll.

I haven't seen any of them before. Mark of the Vampire is the big draw for me.

I've had that set for quite a while now, i got it primarily for 'Mad Love' and 'Mark of the vampire', both i think are not released in the U.K or weren't at the time.

For me 'Mad Love' is the best in the box, it's a total classic in my mind.:loveeyes:

But i also really enjoyed 'Mask of Fu Manchu' (Karloff is quite sadistic in this one. :cool:) and 'Devil doll', can't remember much about the 'Dr X' films though.

'Mark of the Vampire' is good although the end let's it down a little, but Lugosi and Carroll Borland as his vampire bride are memorable.:clap:

I slightly prefer 'Return of the Vampire' with Lugosi and his werewolf sidekick, which is good cheesy fun.:cool:

Enjoy Dem.:pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2018 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 563046)
I've had that set for quite a while now, i got it primarily for 'Mad Love' and 'Mark of the vampire', both i think are not released in the U.K or weren't at the time.

For me 'Mad Love' is the best in the box, it's a total classic in my mind.:loveeyes:

But i also really enjoyed 'Mask of Fu Manchu' (Karloff is quite sadistic in this one. :cool:) and 'Devil doll', can't remember much about the 'Dr X' films though.

'Mark of the Vampire' is good although the end let's it down a little, but Lugosi and Carroll Borland as his vampire bride are memorable.:clap:

I slightly prefer 'Return of the Vampire' with Lugosi and his werewolf sidekick, which is good cheesy fun.:cool:

Enjoy Dem.:pop2:

There were quite a few box sets that came out in the 00's dedicated to the likes of Karloff and Lugosi. This one for some reason was one i didn't bother getting. Anyway, that's sorted now.

nosferatu42 15th January 2018 10:26 PM

The only other one i own from your picture is the Bela Lugosi collection.:pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 563053)

All well worth tracking down, nos, before they disappear forever.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 563053)

That Lugosi set is the creme-de-la-creme. Although it's as much a Karloff set as it is Bela.

nosferatu42 15th January 2018 10:40 PM

I would like them all, but as you know money dictates you go for the ones that most draw you in, or ones you remember liking.

I'm sure i saw a fair few of the Karloff ones on T.V as a kid, he is my favourite of the old classic original horror actors.:loveeyes:

nosferatu42 15th January 2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 563055)
That Lugosi set is the creme-de-la-creme. Although it's as much a Karloff set as it is Bela.

If i remember rightly the prints were pretty decent on this set, what are they like on the other sets?

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 563057)
I would like them all, but as you know money dictates you go for the ones that most draw you in, or ones you remember liking.

I'm sure i saw a fair few of the Karloff ones on T.V as a kid, he is my favourite of the old classic original horror actors.:loveeyes:

Karloff is my favourite as well. No disrespect to Bela but he can't hold a candle to Boris in the chills department.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 563059)
If i remember rightly the prints were pretty decent on this set, what are they like on the other sets?

Superb. All of them. :nod:

nosferatu42 15th January 2018 11:00 PM

Cool.:cool:

You mentioning these old films has put me in the mood for watching some soon.:nod:

I've been watching the old serial "Flash Gordon's trip to Mars" over the last few nights before bedtime, about 3 episodes a night, quite creaky but really comfortable and relaxing viewing.(shares a lot of music with Universal horrors too.)

Has gotten the old nostalgic buds tingling. :wise:

Think some old b & w horror may be next in line.
Also another upside is they are generally around an hour long.:woot: