Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th August 2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 586023)
Think that's the main problem was nearing an hour when I switched off and the opening was still going, very poor editing

I think it's a superbly made film, from the incredibly powerful central performances to all the technical aspects, from the cinematography to the editing, the production design to the score.

The only thing I don't like about The Deer Hunter is how it is yet another in a long line of films where there is (in a borderline racist way) very little to distinguish between the Vietnamese characters and how the Americans are victims of their own war of aggression.

trebor8273 24th August 2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 586027)
I think it's a superbly made film, from the incredibly powerful central performances to all the technical aspects, from the cinematography to the editing, the production design to the score.

The only thing I don't like about The Deer Hunter is how it is yet another in a long line of films where there is (in a borderline racist way) very little to distinguish between the Vietnamese characters and how the Americans are victims of their own war of aggression.

Might give it another chance but on amazon prime, still going to get rid of the 4k version when it turns up

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th August 2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 586037)
Might give it another chance but on amazon prime, still going to get rid of the 4k version when it turns up

You'll notice Nos says it's a superbly made film but he doesn't say it's actually any good for entertainment value.

trebor8273 24th August 2018 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just pre-ordered this from zavvi. Shame there's no ultra 4k version.

Justin101 24th August 2018 01:22 PM

Oh I am tempted! Discovery is one of the best shows I've seen in a while :)
I think that there is a 4K coming out in the USA, it'll be pricey though.

platostotal 24th August 2018 01:38 PM

The 1970s saw American cinema produce some outstanding films but... prime example being The Deer Hunter, there was a trend after The Godfather to make 'epic' style drama with scenes that seem to on far too long, a couple others that spring to mind.

Day of the Dolphin, beautifully shot drama about intelligent dolphins (one of the only films that put me to sleep in a cinema, might play better on t.v.)

Coming Home, superbly acted drama about Vietnam but God does it drag.

WowBobWow 24th August 2018 02:04 PM

Picked up Police Academy 1-7 on Blu for a princely £4.50 from my local charity shop. Ive only seen the first but heard the sequels are wretched. Kind of looking forward to seeing how bad they are.

trebor8273 24th August 2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WowBobWow (Post 586063)
Picked up Police Academy 1-7 on Blu for a princely £4.50 from my local charity shop. Ive only seen the first but heard the sequels are wretched. Kind of looking forward to seeing how bad they are.

Second is just as good as the first , thirds ok but they went downhill when Guttenberg left, but still some fun to be had.

bleakshaun 24th August 2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WowBobWow (Post 586063)

The first couple of sequels aren't necessarily terrible but once you hit 4 or 5 (can't remember which was worst) then the shit hits the fan

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th August 2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 586038)
You'll notice Nos says it's a superbly made film but he doesn't say it's actually any good for entertainment value.

I suppose I was replying more to the point about the editing and the earlier post about the film being boring. It's not one I would watch for some light viewing in the evening to unwind, but even though it's not a particularly pleasant experience, I do find it an engrossing and compelling watch.