Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree151217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2011, 05:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just bought Raging bull and The Usual Supsects blu ray £5 each...
Tesco has quite a few for a £5 dif tesco have dif films
Old 15th March 2011, 07:43 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

ordered the crazy dave tape trilogy

the taint
Old 15th March 2011, 12:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
I am not biased against remakes at all.
I am proud to say I think Hills Have Eyes remake is lots better then original.
I also enjoyed DoTD remake.

LTROI is a classic of modern times its that simple. The remake lacks the atmosphere from LTROI and misses the whole she used to be a boy story.
Sorry, I didn't mean you were biased against remakes, that comment was just made in general about the overall concept, it was not personal. Sorry if it came across that way
What I was getting at is that Let Me In isn't a remake of Let The Right One In. It's another film adaptation of the novel (the director had never even watched Let The Right One In before making it) so it would be good for someone to judge Let Me In in it's own merit and not to compare it to a different directors earlier interpretation of the book. Personally I haven't seen Let Me In yet so I'm keen to see what it's like. I think I'll put it high priority on my Lovefilm account now actually.

Totally agree with you on The Hills Have Eyes remake, for me that was far superior than the original. I even really enjoyed the sequel, extremely gory in parts.
Dawn of the Dead was great too, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Still friends?

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 15th March 2011, 12:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's an interesting point on whether something is a remake or a different interpretation of the source material so you have two film is called True Grit, both adaptations of a book, but the one made last year is not a remake of the famous John Wayne one.

Similarly, you have Michael Mann's Manhunter and then Brett Ratner's Red Dragon which are both adaptations of the same Thomas Harris novel, only Red Dragon is complete garbage whereas Michael Mann's film is superb.

Mark Kermode did an interesting blog on that subject:
BBC - Mark Kermode's film blog: When is a remake not a remake?
Old 15th March 2011, 12:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's an interesting point on whether something is a remake or a different interpretation of the source material so you have two film is called True Grit, both adaptations of a book, but the one made last year is not a remake of the famous John Wayne one.

Similarly, you have Michael Mann's Manhunter and then Brett Ratner's Red Dragon which are both adaptations of the same Thomas Harris novel, only Red Dragon is complete garbage whereas Michael Mann's film is superb.

Mark Kermode did an interesting blog on that subject:
BBC - Mark Kermode's film blog: When is a remake not a remake?
Yeah I watched his Vlog about this too. It's interesting about the Coen Brother's True Grit though because although they claim it's another adaptation of the book and they can't remember much about the original film (so they say). In the book there is no mention of the Rooster character having use of only one eye, yet their character has, just like the John Wayne version. Which means they must have copied that aspect of the original film.

- Kelly fancied sticking this smiley on my post, god knows why. She says it looks like her. Who am I to argue?

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 15th March 2011, 01:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It's our 3 year anniversary next week so Kelly's been wonderful and bought me the rare Predator Trilogy (Mask Edition). As you know I collect all the mask editions and I think this is the only one I don't have. I'm proper chuffed because I knew I wouldn't have enough money for it for a long time. She's the bestest

Old 15th March 2011, 01:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

That is a nice collection Ant .. and the Mrs MUST love you to buy you that!!! Lucky you!!

Old 15th March 2011, 01:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
That is a nice collection Ant .. and the Mrs MUST love you to buy you that!!! Lucky you!!

Cheers mate. I think she does, well I hope so anyway

Old 15th March 2011, 05:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You've got yourself a keeper there, Ant -- what have you bought for her?
Old 15th March 2011, 05:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
You've got yourself a keeper there, Ant -- what have you bought for her?
Hmmm, good point there Nos! Come on Ant, spill the beans!

Like this? Share it using the links below!